Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,974   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Favorite On-Line Camera Store

Recently, I've begun upgrading some of my equipment and as a result I have been dealing with the big 3 on-line camera stores; Calumet, Adorama and B&H. I've found Calumet to be the best that I've dealt with, Adorama keeps lising items in stock, only to be told after you order that the item is not in stock, B&H is fine, except for a minor shipping hassle (like a lot of people these days, I only have a cell phone - they wouldn't ship my order until I could fax them a copy of a utility bill to prove I live where I do, and they won't ship to my billing address). I've considered ordering from Robert White in the UK, but I am concerned with custom duties on purchases; they do have some items I want and can't find anywhere else.

For film purchases I generally use Calumet and J&C for the occasional B&W - I pretty well only shoot Velvia.

My question, is are there any other stores I should look at in the future other than these three?

Not sure where to put this.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am very happy with Freestyle, although it sounds like you might not really benefit from using them. I really like their house brand products and their inexpensive and quick shipping. I don't know that their shipping will be so quick and inexpensive to Hawaii and they probably charge a bit more for Velvia than the New York dealers do and they seem to have a bit thinner selection in sheet transparency film as well.

They are also APUG sponsors, which I appreciate.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My online shopping has primarily been done at badgergraphic.com (Jeff is awesome), mpex.com (Jim Andraki is also great), and keh.com. I built my 645 kit from mpex.com and keh.com for cheap, and everything was in perfect condition. I've purchased 4 4x5 lenses from badgergraphic, with great service from Jeff each time.

I've also dealt with B&H a couple of times (ok experience, really expensive shipping), and Freestyle (I bought so much stuff, they threw in some freebies).

I've not had a bad experience with any of them. All recommended.

Oh, I have bought stuff from Calumet, but only from their store in S.F....never over the net.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've had good experiences with Robert White and Freestyle. I prefer B&H to Adorama, but I shop there in person rather than online. Calumet NYC has gone increasingly digital, but maybe online it's not so bad. Good experience also at badgergraphic.com and mpex.com.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're not going to like my opinion but... Robert White. I get fulfillment in under 16 hours to Italy everytime. Not the cheapest, but well worth what you pay for. Plus an honest and well informed sales team (talk to Matt Samson for LF)... they've plundered my credit card many times.

Off hand, what IS import duty and sales tax to, say Hawaii? The other way around to Italy would mean 20% VAT + 4.5% import duty on goods+shipping value...
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No VAT or sales tax to the US and import duty is hit or miss. I don't think I've been hit with a duty on the couple of items I've ordered from Robert White, but it may depend on the nature and value of the particular item. The real issue is the exchange rate. I haven't bought from them in a while since the dollar fell against the UKP.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm not looking so much for film, since that is easy to get. I'm looking for additional sources for other accessories. One thing I am looking for is hard to get B+W and Lee filters - for example, a 86mm Warm Circular (or Linear) Polarizer which Robert White has for £122 (6 week order) or Lee ND Grad - 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 hard graduation (B&H has a set, on back order).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had good luck with B&H, KEH, Calumet, Alkit, and Pacific Rim Camera. I order just about all of my B&W film from J&C and can't say enough good things about them!

I had one issue with an order from Calumet - they sent the wrong part once, but one phone call was all it took to resolve the problem. To be fair, the wrong part that they sent was actually in the correct box for the item I ordered, so it was really a manufacturers problem (Metz).
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well FedEx is holding a Keh package right now. I've bought a few LF lenses from Mpex. Both have prices that can be cheaper then Ebay bidding.

For hard to get new stuff I think most is going special order. It's a pain but I don't see any other choice.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The View Camera Store, B and H, Badger Graphic, I am happy with these three.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin