Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,177   Online: 1021
      
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 70

Thread: More on Kodak

  1. #31
    cao
    cao is offline
    cao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    188

    Kodak's vanishing IP and my needs

    What I find very bothersome is that I have a look based on XTOL 1:2 and TMY which work very well for me. I can run other films, but XTOL-like formulations are covered by patent. It seems that KODAK's exit from this arena will leave people with no strictly legal alternative. If I want protection for my images, shouldn't I be completely circumspect about KODAK's intellectual property? What is the answer? Basically, it seems if we insist on taking the moral high road, KODAK's departure will deprive us of significant tools.

  2. #32
    jmailand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Belmont Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    151
    Images
    20

    Bottom Line

    I’m just guessing here, but aren't Kodak digital camera's made in China while most of their film is made in the US. I have to think US labor and health care costs play into these job cuts. Why continue to produce a product that has expensive labor force when you can "make the transition" to another product with a cheap labor cost and no health care. I bet they would be moving a lot of film making jobs overseas anyway, if they didn't see it as a dead end. The same thing is happening or has happened to other US industries all over the country. These other companies though, still keep making their traditional product so it doesn't become big news. It all about making the bottom line look good for Wall Street.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota Tropics
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by jmailand
    [...] Why continue to produce a product that has expensive labor force when you can "make the transition" to another product with a cheap labor cost and no health care. [....] It all about making the bottom line look good for Wall Street.
    That's so obvious and ordinary an observation that I have to ask what your point really is. So what is it?

  4. #34
    jmailand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Belmont Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    151
    Images
    20
    Ever heard of NAFTA. They were probably going to lose their jobs anyway. I didn't realize this post was for mental giants only. I'll just keep my ordinary opinions to my self.

  5. #35
    wildbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,383
    Images
    140
    I'm guessing that most if not all of Kodak's digital products are manufactured overseas. What will they make here in the states?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

    I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

  6. #36
    edz
    edz is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    I'm guessing that most if not all of Kodak's digital products are manufactured overseas. What will they make here in the states?
    They hope money!
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota Tropics
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by jmailand
    Ever heard of NAFTA. They were probably going to lose their jobs anyway. I didn't realize this post was for mental giants only. I'll just keep my ordinary opinions to my self.
    Sorry about that. It's just that we read all the time about the well-known tactics of the runaway public company. NAFA is a good take on the issue. We should know more about. Thanks. Please don't be put off. Sometimes I'm just a butthead.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957

    Kodak

    Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop
    You know what's funny? Fuji is somewhat similar to Kodak, in terms of production. They make films, digital cameras, but not paper nor chemicals. Either way, I never hear them complaining. Like Kodak, Fuji's digital offerings isn't in high demand as Canon or Nikon's SLRS. I don't hear Fuji complaining about profit losses.

    Perhaps I'm wrong, but Kodak needs to learn how to sell their products again. Otherwise, in the near future, the news headline will be, "Kodak ran out of things to blame for their profit losses."
    Hi, all. I just wanted to make a comment here about Fuji. Since I've been living in Japan for a couple of years now and always buying photo supplies, I find that Fuji is the dominant seller in the Japanese market still going strong today.

    But it's not so much that Fuji does good sales on items like photo paper because it's a shrinking market and Agfa and Ilford are still as popular, I believe, but with better accessibility and okay pricing within the Japanese market, it seems Fuji has competed and blocked many foreign brands from getting in hands of photo users( I mean, those who are eager to make their own prints) for over the years.

    The market here was split 9:1 between Fuji and Kodak years ago, and that was in the news in the U.S. back then because it was, and still is almost a giant monopoly business that some capitalists hate. Indeed, everything you know of, from film, chemicals, to even enlargers, and enlarger lenses, you can subsititute with Fuji brand, which is kind of amazing.

    For instance, I use a Fuji brand enlarger, high-end, that is an OEM product of LPL, and Fuji VC filters that are almost identical to that of Iford, and I don't see much difference in quality in printing with other brands. Or at least the difference is not something that is so visible if you do it in your own way.

    I don't know if Kodak pull out and Fuji fills the gap in the U.S. market, but it'll be just another challenge for anyone who cares about it. When I was living in the U.S, years ago, I was very happy with using Tri-X, HP5, Omega D2, old Nikkor, Agfa MC FB paper, and Dektol. Now I'm in Japan, using unfamilar brand items and trying not to lose the quality in my final prints. There's a bit of adjustment to do, which takes time, but I'm getting better results.

    I shoot with Neopan 400 now, which is sold at almost half the price of Tri-X or HP5 here. Although Neopan is not totally my liking, I think I made a good switch because the prices on foreign products only seem to go up.

    I never use Fuji paper because it doesn't offer much choice for VC papers, and Agfa is still my choice for the last five years consistently despite its recent bankrupt and other sad news. But anything that is for professionals use will be around, I'm sure, since the U.S. has been a huge photo market with a lot of analog users. Just don't get too picky on brand names. If not, you just have to buy a large quantity and save them to last. I don't mean to sound harsh, though.

  9. #39
    MikeS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Newport, TN USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    220
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    Hi, all. I just wanted to make a comment here about Fuji. Since I've been living in Japan for a couple of years now and always buying photo supplies, I find that Fuji is the dominant seller in the Japanese market still going strong today.

    *** Deletions ***

    The market here was split 9:1 between Fuji and Kodak years ago, and that was in the news in the U.S. back then because it was, and still is almost a giant monopoly business that some capitalists hate. Indeed, everything you know of, from film, chemicals, to even enlargers, and enlarger lenses, you can subsititute with Fuji brand, which is kind of amazing.

    *** Deletions ***
    One reason for Fuji stuff being so cheap in Japan is that Japan aggressively protects their companies. First off, many Japanese companies get government help via cheap loans, etc. and secondly like many other countries other than the US, Japan puts a heavy tax on incoming products which makes their domestic products that much cheaper!

    This is not to say that Fuji products are bad, or cheaper (quality wise, not price) than others, I'm just saying that just because they're cheap (pricewise) in Japan doesn't mean they'll be cheaper when exported.

    I have used some Fuji film, and it doesn't seem like bad stuff, but I haven't used enough to really be able to compare it.

    -Mike

  10. #40
    Ole
    Ole is offline
    Ole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    9,281
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    One reason for Fuji stuff being so cheap in Japan is that Japan aggressively protects their companies. First off, many Japanese companies get government help via cheap loans, etc. and secondly like many other countries other than the US, Japan puts a heavy tax on incoming products which makes their domestic products that much cheaper!
    ...
    What makes you think the US is any different? Believe me, some foreign products are taxed very heavily coming in to the US.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin