Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,004   Online: 1098

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Edward C. Zimmermann

Would you please reply to the points in Titrisol's post, instead of going off at a tangent.
    Titrisol's comments were a tangent. The question is about Technical Pan and there is little about Efke25 that can be considered a replacement for any of the kinds of applications that demanded it.

You state that EFKE 25 is less sharp and is grainier than Tmax100. I use both films and it's not the case.
    I think, if I recall correctly, Efke 25 gets just uder 120 lp/mm (1:1000) resolution. Kodak's TMax-100 is higher at 190 lp/mm or so. Its RMS is 8. Fuji Neopan 100 Acros is even finer grained with RMS of 7 (about the same as Agfa APX-25)! Technical Pan was 5 and Copex-Rapid-AHU is 6. Agfa Copex at 1:1000 can deliver 600 lp/mm.

We are talking, I guess, about pictorial applications and there TMax-100 can deliver around 60-70 lp/mm compared to around 100 for Agfa Copex and Technical Pan. Agfa APX-25 delivered around 80 lp/mm. Efke 25 is roughly en-par with TMax but at less than 1/4 its E.I and with a high contrast that is much harder to tame. Handled well one can get good results from Efke-25 but the effort is nearly as much as with high resolution microfilms for a fraction of the returns........
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps it's time you rejoined the real world.

Your answer is not backed by any valid testing. In 50+ years Adox (EFKE) Kb14 (Din) 25 (ISO) has been the sharpest and finest grain conventional film available. Yes AP25 & APX25 were better coated and more consistent but they've gone.

Now cut the crap this forum is really only about pictorial aplications. Sure I've used Tech Pan for extremely critical medium to high contrast copying work and there's no better film.

All I can say is your showing your ignorance, which I wish you'd keep to yorself.

Ian

Ian,go to fotokemika.com then efke.The claimed resolution of the Efke 25 is 115 lpm.I have used both Efke 25 and Gigabit and while the Efke has a very fine grain IMO the resolution of Gigabit at 11x enlargement is clearly higher in the real world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yawn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Yawn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Yawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Well said.
    I agree.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Using microfilm and buying a high resolution lens was going to be a project.Is it not such a good idea then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan, nothing wrong with your plan. Be aware that the weak link will most likely be the printing paper anyway. All of this talk about lpmm, sharpness, acuity, the ultimate film and developer combination is just words and so much B.S. at this point.

What do you want to accomplish? What do you need this combination for and what will you take pictures of which require this combination? How big will the enlargement ratio end up being, 1:4 or 1:40? Should a larger format be used to accomplish this effect with a coarser film rather than a finer film? Will you use rodinal for edge effects or pyrocat and minimal agitation?

Sorry I can't give you a history lesson, but I just take pictures. Personally, I like Efke 25 very much. It is sharp and has a very contrasty look to it. I've used it for portraits which have been cropped out of 35mm and enlarged to 8x10 without visible grain. This was with PMK pyro. It is inexpensive, orthopanchromatic, unforgiving as Velvia and wonderful in the right lighting. Get it wrong and it will slap you with your mistakes. Pick a film, work with it for a year and see what you think. Wish I had better advice, but I hope you will give it a try. tim

Efke 25 at asa 12 (and a tripod, usually)
    Presoak film 2 minutes for best and most even development
    PMK pyro developer 1:2:100 mixed with distilled water!
    Agitate for 30 seconds to 1 minute (depends on contrast, 35mm), then
    Try for 7:00 at 70f with 15 second agitation cycles and see what you get

Alan Johnson

Noseoil,
    I like to shoot seascapes,landscapes,walk a long way so use lighter 35mm but want it to look like 645 (huh) at 11x14. I may try Copex or Imagelink in Spur developer but the Efke 25 sounds better than I knew. Tonality, I remember that. Iwill try some as well. Thanks for the advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget to buy a very good enlarging lens. That may become your weakest link

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson
    Noseoil,
    I like to shoot seascapes,landscapes,walk a long way so use lighter 35mm but want it to look like 645 (huh) at 11x14. I may try Copex or Imagelink in Spur developer but the Efke 25 sounds better than I knew. Tonality, I remember that. Iwill try some as well. Thanks for the advice.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin