Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,487   Online: 928

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No more Kodak papers

The majority of you must already know. I knew yesterday. Kodak stopped making paper. I don't understand why they maintain chemicals and film in production (without paper). Perhaps they stopped making them too and I don't know.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak announced that they were discontinuing paper and stated at that time that they were not discontinuing film and chemistry. They also didn't state that they were committed to making film and chemistry, so who knows how long that will last. Their market position in both film and chemistru seems to be stronger than paper, so hopefully they will continue to manufacture them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For Kodak, making film is the cash source to develop digital.

Digital is not profitable for anybody, yet its considered the future. Everybody is fighting to be the last guy standing. Canon ? Kodak ? There will be only one winner.

SO film ( and chems ) will contiune. The film plant is new, efficient, and profitable.

It's likely the paper situation was not.

We all face the same problems. I KNOW I could have a big income from doing some types of photography. But the overhead would be so great, the profit would be tenuous. SO, I opt out of that market. For Kodak, why not abandon the b&w paper market, and put their eggs someplace else ? They had long ago focussed their attention of commercial products rather than 'fine art'.

Making D-76 is easy, so it's VERY profitable.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    It's difficult to fathom quite where Kodak are heading. In the UK & probably elsewhere they are dropping their professional digital SLR's. They have just announced the introduction of 2 "bridge" digital cameras but already the Technical Editor of "Amateur Photographer" magazine has criticised them for the very restricted ISO range (50 to 200). Unfortunately for Kodak they may be throwing everything they've got into the digital arena but they have very much slipped into the second rank of players.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac
    It's difficult to fathom quite where Kodak are heading.
    Perhaps the handbasket they're riding in is a clue...

In the UK & probably elsewhere they are dropping their professional digital SLR's.
    'Bout time. It was the Ektra all over again--build a camera that is in many ways a world beater, but with a couple of horrible flaws, refuse to fix it, wonder briefly why it loses money, and go back to what they're good at, spewing consumer crap.

Unfortunately for Kodak they may be throwing everything they've got into the digital arena but they have very much slipped into the second rank of players.
    They've acknowledged their incompetence in the high-end digital world. They're king of the hill in a market segment--low-end consumer digital--that Sony has admitted they believe will go extinct due to better cell cams. And they're throwing the shrinking--but profitable--traditional photography business away, one line at a time. Ten years out, Kodak's about as screwed as a diabetic hummingbird.

And they're trashing stuff that actually has a future in a digital world--things like Tech Pan that'll clobber digital as soundly ten years from now as it does today, B&W Lightjet paper they could make a killing on if they spent a little time promoting the superiority of real silver prints. Instead they keep junk like Portra 800, something with zero future in a digital world.

They don't even have the decency to sell off the facilities and formula to a niche player who could make a good business off the sales still possible in tomorrow's limited but not lost analog market. All that wonderful Rochester R&D lost forever to leave us relying on what, 50's Efke technology? Yuck.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Very well put, Roger!
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    Kodak announced that they were discontinuing paper and stated at that time that they were not discontinuing film and chemistry. They also didn't state that they were committed to making film and chemistry, so who knows how long that will last. Their market position in both film and chemistru seems to be stronger than paper, so hopefully they will continue to manufacture them.
    Does anyone know if Kodak just discontinued B&W paper or did they include color as well?
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by esanford
    Does anyone know if Kodak just discontinued B&W paper or did they include color as well?
    I haven't seen anything on this, but suspect that they still sell a lot of color paper to labs, including a lot of minilabs. I'd be surprized if color paper were discontinued.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was told that in the digital age, B&W film sales have remain strong (probably for the same reason B&W fans didn't buy Colour film and desaturate it) Even thought some B&W photographers have gone digital mainly because its convieniant.

Trouble is that Poeple will shoot B&W and then scan it. Infact acording to AP the sale of B&W developer is increasing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, this would be the same AP that said that both Ilford and Kodak had sold more B&W film the previous year in the UK than any time before. Six months or so later Ilford went bust quoting a 25% downturn in the previous year... IIRC, Kodak have since reported similar film sales drops (not sure if they included colour).

I was surprised because I had assumed B&W sales would not be hit anything like as much as colour (wrong again; remind me never to take up betting on the horses)...

Silverprint have quotes from the new Ilford management in their news section (http://www.silverprint.co.uk/News05.htm). They say decline is now around 15-20% and they hope it will stabilize to 5-7% (one would have hoped that they would have hoped that it would stop declining completely at some point!)

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin