Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,869   Online: 1076

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Help me out here,

"JandC Polywarmtone Plus" = "Forte Polywarmtone Plus" = "Bergger VCCB".

Or have I got this wrong too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Bergger

Bruce-kindly read what I said about Bergger in my last post. VCCB is a very nice paper all its own.
    Peter Schrager

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been common knowledge in the Photo industry for years that Forte have had ongoing money problems and required early payment even payment with order. They still struggle on and best wishes to them for the industry cannot afford for any of the manufactuers to close. Having said that there is too much coating capacity around so sadly it is inevitable that someone will go.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Is there a list of paper and film equivalence?

I've heard Bergger is Forte, but also that Forte makes paper to Berggers specifications. Which in my mind make it different. Is this true with other products. Most of the information on these forums are confusing at best, contradictory at worst.

It would be nice to have a chart or something.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky
    I Most of the information on these forums are confusing at best, contradictory at worst.
    That's the whole point, how else could one convince someone to pay extra for the same product. In side many of those paper boxes are other brands often at prices higher than the original brand. This has been the case for some Agfa papers but also for Ilford, Forte, Foma, Kentmere and Efke papers as well... Some companies that come to mind even invent their own factories producing pixie goods... It, of course, works the other way.. I know some local branded 35-mm colour film sold in drugstores at prices BELOW what the internal caculation from the producer is....
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky
    Is there a list of paper and film equivalence?

I've heard Bergger is Forte, but also that Forte makes paper to Berggers specifications. Which in my mind make it different. Is this true with other products. Most of the information on these forums are confusing at best, contradictory at worst.

It would be nice to have a chart or something.
    Berrger is not Forte, though it may be made in the same factory and by the same people, but to different specifications as you note. To buy Forte thinking you will get a print that looks like Berrger is a mistake.

Why would anybody in the paper industry publish a list of rebranded products?

Who would publish such a list? Perhaps a third party would rebrand an already rebranded paper. But I would expect the third parties product, in order to be affordable, would have some kind of down size to it.

I can use Forte and tell you it's just like Berrger, but you know better.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree it would be a mistake for a company to say we are selling this as this. My question was more pointed at the people here. It seems we can find everything else on the net. I also have not bought into Bergger being Forte. But then again maybe I just want to jusify paying extra for the Bergger.

Images
    E-mail Jand C. They know a lot about this stuff.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

A friend of mine have been talking to Bergger headquarters and says they're actually buying Forte, but I can't say if both brand will remain or just one. Bergger Warmtone is my favorite paper now and I'd say it's quite different from Forte equivalent, although both are gorgeous papers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Forte is Hungarian, Efke is Croatian. The Efke stuff is made near Zagreb, the Forte stuff outside of Budapest.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin