Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,661   Online: 826

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is Forte officially Dead?

I can never keep all the changes in paper and film mfg straight. After reading the recent post about Lenswork the conclusion is that Forte is gone forever.
    I looked through the archives and cannot find any confirmation. I see that B&H still stocks it although that may be the last of the stocks. I also have seen psots from other sites and maybe here that they are still trying to reorganize.

Anyone know the truth? I was going to buy a box of warmtone for printing some very old negatives but am not going to waste time and money if I cannot replenish when needed. I will just have to re-print the first two sets on Ilford.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought the last story was new shipments had started?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know what the real story is. Brooks says he has been told they are gone. Someone eles says the plant is shuttered. Others say B&H has been getting in new stocks, but at the same time Freestyle discontinued their aftermarket Forte Paper (arista edu?). I also have read thatr Bergger is no longer being produced and that was made by Forte.

I have read on APUG that EFKE is seperate from Forte but on one of the RecPhoto forums they say Forte made their paper.

So... Is Forte and Efke seperate entities?

What are all the brand names of papers sold by J&C, Freestyle, Adorama etc. that Forte produced so if they are out of business I can steer clear of those.And send my send my business to Efke or Ilford or Agfa.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good question! I know Silverprint in the UK received bulk supplies of paper at the end of May. It does not help that the Forte web site (http://www.forte-photo.net) has no News section. Silverprint's News section says they came out of Administration, but it's not clear how up to date that news is other than sometime post May '05.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forte and Efke are in different countries. EFKE Croatia? Forte Hungary?

Last story I heard was Omega [The US importer of Forte] had beening getting new shipments.

At FreeStyle anything labeled Forte , the .edu. and Berger was supposedly made by Forte . I've no idea why FreeStyle switched but they also switched from Ilford and Ilford is still going. So I don't think FreeStyle switching means much.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Forte

I already posted this once today but I'll do it again. Both Adorama and B+H have Forte in stock. It WAS out of stock several months ago. Now it is again in stock.
    What does this tell you? Bergger IS Forte made to their specifications in the same plant.(Bergger also IN stock) I belive that Omega-Satter is NOT the importer anymore. What else do you expect their website to say? Let's all not buy Forte; that way we can be assured that they will certainly be out of business.
    My belief is that they are doing paper runs for people with cash. I'll bet money that Bergger which doesn't make a damn thing is in there right now with cash in hand. Otherwise wait and see. What do you think J+C 200/400 is? From Gupta, India. It's Forte....and so is the Bergger BPF 200;etc.....
    For my money I'll buy the Forte as long as it's around. These are individual choices one has to make but I'd rather be printing on Forte than Multigrade IV.
    Best, Peter Schrager

Shooter
    35mm

Forte

Have not been able to get Forte Polygrade V 16x20" although other sizes seem to be available.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Forte is indeed in Hungary, and Efke in Croatia, and Foma in the Czech Republic, and Slavich in Russia.

Maybe John from J&C has some news. He's been straightforward about such things all along. The only Forte product I use is J&C Classic 400. From the Efke plant I use Efke PL100 and J&C Exposition graded paper (which I formerly used under the Cachet label).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been ordering Forte Polywarmtone Plus paper from J&C under the guise of "JandC Polywarmtone Plus". It is in stock and John says there should not be any availability problems in the foreseeable future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter's very profound point may get lost in all the words - - -

if we don't buy Forte (and you can substitute any other brand you are interested in) our of fear that they are going out of business, then the self-fulfilling prophecy is that they WILL go out of business.

I think the time has come to stop chattering about what might happen in the sensitized materials market, and concentrate our intentions on making pictures using sensitized materials. Suppliers will only survive if the market is healthy - and a healthy markets requires that there be customers to purchase the products offered in that market.

Louie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin