Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,528   Online: 852

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought 2 Zone VI Pentax digital spot meters back in the Fred Picker days. They have had an easy life, but have now drifted to be 1+1/3 stops apart (and 1+2/3 stops at high light levels) and neither is within a stop of many other meters which all agree with each other (Minolta spot, Nikons, leica m6 etc). I just adjust the film speed to get them to agree with normal meters. But I agree with the ergonomics and the readout: the best!

I have read the info from Paul Butzi and I wonder if the Zone_VI mod is particularly useful (The Zone_VI mod was advertised as making readings through filters just right with one film only: Tri-X sheet film). I also wonder if the Zone_VI mod is the cause of my drifting readings.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    This: http://www.butzi.net/articles/zone%2...worth%20it.htm is the only attempt I have seen to independently assess the claims of the modified Pentax (just don't read what he has to say about switching from silver to inkjet printing )...

Cheers, Bob.
    Yup, that's the article that gave me the most pause (and it's too late to warn me about the inkjet article!)

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    Now I'm using a Pocket Spot meter which has all the spectral balancing and extra baffles and filters as standard equipment that any Z6 and it's cheaper (as a new product ... not available used ).
    That is a very good point regarding the poket spot; it does make the price much more reasonable doesn't it? In fact, looking around at the prices of what is for sale out there in the way of ZVI modified, even used, the PS becomes a damn good choice.

But it seems to me that there must be some drawbacks to the PS that I need to be discussed as objectivly as possible. I think I'll hop over to the PS thread in LF and read over what has been said.
    -B

Images
    laz127

Probably a good idea. Here is a little mention of the Pocket Spot on Alan Ross' website:

http://www.alanrossphotography.com/ar20/techForum.html
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yup! Just buy a couple or three of everything... then, if you were almost a teenager during the Summer of Love, you'll be set until you tip-over!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Sexton Workshop

In the Spring of 2001, I attended John's workshop. Of the nine in attendance (all with Pentax Spotmeters), none differed by even 1/3rd EV. However, I don't recall if any had non-modified Pentax Spotmeters - and, this was a just a general field test. Personally I am satisfied with my results using the Zone VI meter through the gel filters that I use.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a pistol lanyard around your neck and hooked to the spot meter will prevent the dropping. Pat

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i use the IV analog version of the pentax spot and like it very much to work with.

Somebody replied that he did not see the advantage to use a spotmeter??
    When using large format, its better to see where your zones are and what will be visible on the picture afterwards or what wil become black or white.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Zone VI meter

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    When I asked the direct sales rep about Pentax no longer making light meters she wrote"
    "James,
    The Pentax discontinuation rumor has been going around for about a year and
    a half now. So far we are still getting them from Pentax as is the company
    that does the actual alterations to make it the ZVI version. The problem is
    that production is ridiculously slow. For every 3 orders we get, we are
    getting 1 unit in. We are fufilling the orders- it is just a matter of
    waiting unit your place in line comes up. We just got some last week- both
    modified and not - so I do not see any validity to the rumor. At some point
    it might happen but there is no sign of it yet.

Michelle Biesiadecki
    Direct Sales / Internet Sales
    Calumet Photographic, Inc.
    Last week when I checked the Calumet site the Zone VI modified meters were no longer on the site. I inquired with an email about availability and the sales dept. wrote back that regretably the modified spot meter was no longer available. Has anyone herd otherwise?
    fotod69

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    Okay doaky, Googled my way to an answer to my own questions. My search also turned up some questions re: the modifications and whether they make any real world difference. My guess is that those who buy 'em swear by 'em and those that don't, well don't think it makes enough difference relative to the $$
    I've been using a Zone VI modified meter for years and I swear by it! It is simply never wrong -- all tones are spot on (no pun intended), what I read is exactly what I get in the final print, and by metering through the filters I am always able to predict exactly what the final effect will be in the print.

In my experience, they are worth every penny. I don't know what a new one costs, but I would spend 500 or 600 dollars on a new one in a heartbeat if I did not already have one.

Incidentally, I've been using this one for some about 15 years and it's still as good as new. Great device!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin