Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,191   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Pentax/Zone VI Spotmeter Good News!

Here's the reply I received this morning from Calumet's direct sales department regarding the Zone VI/Pentax Digital Spotmeter-

"We will still be getting them in - the wait is just very long for them. I
    would suggest if you are able to wait the 6+ months for one, place an order
    for one and get on the list. We do not charge your credit card for the item
    until we actually ship it to you and if you need to cancel during the wait
    time there is no penalty. With the number of people looking for this model,
    it is unlikely that we will have any "on the shelf" any time in the
    foreseable future. Please let me know if you have any additional questions."

Michelle Biesiadecki
    Direct Sales / Internet Sales
    Calumet Photographic, Inc

Apparently there's a good number of people wanting this item and Calumet is stepping up to the plate! This contradicts reports that Pentax meters are a thing of the past!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Although I have never really understood the need for a spot meter, this is encouraging news. I think it may be another piece of evidence in support of the hypothesis that we are currently experiencing a very real and significant resurgence of interest in and the use of large format.

When I selected the Pentax, it was the only model at the store I did not have to keep removing from my eye to read sequential areas.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

More from Calumet re- Pentax Meters

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    Here's the reply I received this morning from Calumet's direct sales department regarding the Zone VI/Pentax Digital Spotmeter-

"We will still be getting them in - the wait is just very long for them. I
    would suggest if you are able to wait the 6+ months for one, place an order
    for one and get on the list. We do not charge your credit card for the item
    until we actually ship it to you and if you need to cancel during the wait
    time there is no penalty. With the number of people looking for this model,
    it is unlikely that we will have any "on the shelf" any time in the
    foreseable future. Please let me know if you have any additional questions."

Michelle Biesiadecki
    Calumet Photographic, Inc

Apparently there's a good number of people wanting this item and Calumet is stepping up to the plate! This contradicts reports that Pentax meters are a thing of the past!
    When I asked the direct sales rep about Pentax no longer making light meters she wrote"
    "James,
    The Pentax discontinuation rumor has been going around for about a year and
    a half now. So far we are still getting them from Pentax as is the company
    that does the actual alterations to make it the ZVI version. The problem is
    that production is ridiculously slow. For every 3 orders we get, we are
    getting 1 unit in. We are fufilling the orders- it is just a matter of
    waiting unit your place in line comes up. We just got some last week- both
    modified and not - so I do not see any validity to the rumor. At some point
    it might happen but there is no sign of it yet.

Michelle Biesiadecki
    Calumet Photographic, Inc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I own a Pentax Digital modified meter. I hope it lasts forever, but it's nice to know that I've got an SEI Photometer as backup. It's been around for about 50 years and it only needs a D-Cell battery to operate. It was recently modified to replace the internal bulb with an LED diode. It'll outlive me most likely.

-Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    that is good news. Especially for someone like me who's equipment seems to have an affinity for water. On a recent trip my Pentax Zone VI fell out of my vest pocket into the pool I was shooting around. The great old camera repairman nearby dried it out, cleaned it up, calibrated it, and resurrected it from the death I was certain it had suffered, and its good as new. This time!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can someone enlighten (pun intended) this newbie as to what the Zone VI modification is? I've just a foggy understanding of Zone VI so feel free to tell me to learn more about it and I'll know the answer to my question.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay doaky, Googled my way to an answer to my own questions. My search also turned up some questions re: the modifications and whether they make any real world difference. My guess is that those who buy 'em swear by 'em and those that don't, well don't think it makes enough difference relative to the $$

Images
    laz127

I think they do make a difference. Example, if you shoot with filters, if you use a Z6 meter you can meter through the filter to determine your exposure without having to guess filter factors. This is very handy. I think this is the main difference: that the meter is spectrally balanced for BW and not overly influenced by infrared light (which some meters using silicon photo diodes may be). Z6 also used to add extra baffling. This was to help in metering contrasty scenes. I don't know if this is still true.

Can one live w/o the Z6 benefits? Yes. I used standard Pentax spot meters for years and did just fine. Didn't want to part with the extra money. Now I'm using a Pocket Spot meter which has all the spectral balancing and extra baffles and filters as standard equipment that any Z6 and it's cheaper (as a new product ... not available used ).
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This: http://www.butzi.net/articles/zone%2...worth%20it.htm is the only attempt I have seen to independently assess the claims of the modified Pentax (just don't read what he has to say about switching from silver to inkjet printing )...

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin