Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,147   Online: 1030

Shooter
    35mm

El Nikkor 63mm enlarging lens

Hi, folks. I've been told that the current production of El Nikkor 63mm F2.8 has ended in Japan. I just bought one today in case I would ever need it in the near future, but that was after calling up four, five stores in major cities and having it shipped to the nearest one.

It came as a surprise because until last month, I remember it was being sold at a bargain price, like 40-50 percent off on Amazon and other online stores. But all of the sudden, I noticed that those sales signs were gone, and I guess this is the reason why.

Since the lens has been praised for its outstanding quality by a number of users, I just wanted to share this story with you.

Shooter
    35mm

more on the 63mm lens

And I may be the last one to say the latest (and the last) model of 63mm lens is a real good lens. The hardware is kind of disappointing because it's nothing but plastic, but the optical quality is nothing I've never seen.

So far, it works good with my photos taken with Canon NFD lenses that produce softer images even in daylight situations. The highlights are still there, and the shadow areas are not too dark/black. I would say despite many reviews I've read, the Nikkor 63mm is not as contrasty and hard/harsh as the older 50mm lenses I know of, which was the reason why I had avoided using Nikon for a while. But what's surprising is it's rather smooth and seems to have a higher resolution for the outcome than the old ones. It's like tasting good wine that never gets you a hangover. I know this is arguable, but I just wanted to report here.

But the production of it is finished anyway. It's just sad. Am I the only one who's been so concerned about this lens?

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon Japan says, "Finished"

I just called Nikon (Japan) customer support today, and the representative said that the production of the 63mm lens had ended last month and there's no stock there, but that wouldn't necessarily appear on its website, which I personally don't know why because there are notices on other finished/discontinued products. He said 50mm, 75mm, and other current types in the current lineup are and will still be available.

I might have to look for a used one as a backup since I'm starting to like this lens a lot.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin