Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,295   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

What would a "life-time supply" of film and paper be?

Does anyone have any idea of just how much film, chemistry, and paper it would take to constitute a life-time supply for an average APUGer? How much freezer space would it require? What would the dollar amount be for making such provisions?

Personally, I wouldn't mind a law that would compel Kodak to continue to make certain films and papers for a certain period of time so as to protect the substantial investments of US citizens. If Tamron/Bronica can be required to provide 7 years of "authorized repair service" for the cameras and lenses it no longer makes- then why can't Kodak be required to perform a similar act of decency? (I point to Kodak because it's a US company)

But barring any sort of fair and logical legislation by our fearless and all-knowing leaders, I am curious as to what it would cost in terms of dollars and space to provide oneself a reasonable supply of analog photographic materials.

Any ideas?
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    Does anyone have any idea of just how much film, chemistry, and paper it would take to constitute a life-time supply for an average APUGer? ...
    I think the problem would be that you could never define an "average" APUGer. We've got pros, amateurs that shoot a lot and amateurs that shoot rarely. Then there are the different formats and variations, and ...

Also, I doubt very seriously whether one could legislate a manufacturer to continue producing a product. But, as usual, I could be wrong ...

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would you really want to live in a country where the government had the power to require one to continue to manufacture something it no longer wanted to manufacture? What else would such a powerful government be tempted to force on the public?
    juan

Shooter
    35mm

security equipement

Quote Originally Posted by juan
    Would you really want to live in a country where the government had the power to require one to continue to manufacture something it no longer wanted to manufacture? What else would such a powerful government be tempted to force on the public?
    juan
    Security equipment in many of the developed countries running anti-terrorism campaigns, is something that's been rather forced by the authoritative power. You know the security cameras are manufactured by the names that familiar to us: Nikon, Pentax, Kyocera, etc. I'm sure these companies are happy making profits off this opportunity, though. And it's nothing new.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    juan
    I do, and I like it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm

repair

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    If Tamron/Bronica can be required to provide 7 years of "authorized repair service" for the cameras and lenses it no longer makes- then why can't Kodak be required to perform a similar act of decency?
    Are they required to do so? Under what condtion? I doubt if there's any act for that matter. They may run the after-care service for a certain period of time, but when they run out of the materials for repairing, that's the end. You never know what they have in stock for how long. Then you have to look for unauthorized repair service anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    [re: requiring manufacturers to provide spare parts and repair service for 7 years after a model is discontinued.]

Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    Are they required to do so? Under what condtion? I doubt if there's any act for that matter.
    I can't speak to cameras or lenses specifically, but in the US, this is definitely true of some products, such as cars, IIRC. I don't recall the exact time frames involved or other conditions, though. I believe the reasoning is that you don't want manufacturers to be able to get out of providing warranty repairs with the excuse that they've run out of spare parts. I don't know if similar laws exist in other parts of the world.

Shooter
    Large Format
    not sure what a lifetime supply of film is ...
    i guess i would have to venture a guess and suggest a 8x8x16' storage container filled 1/2 with film and 1/2 with paper would be a lifetime supply

http://www.pods.com/storage/size.aspx
    Last edited by jnanian; 10-15-2005 at 03:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lifetime supply? Well, if you were jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge, which is 119 ft. from the road to the water at the center point, and you had a camera that could shoot 5 fps, I calculate that you could get about 13 or 14 shots off before hitting the water. With a Graphic using a press shutter and a Grafmatic, only about 2 or 3.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lifetime supply? I guess it would depend on how old you are at the outset. At my age, I may well have a lifetime supply already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin