Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,384   Online: 771

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    Here is another article--notice that they comment on Kodak's big losses this last quarter. ($1.03 Billion--with a "B"--in one quarter!)

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...019&ID=5204767

Matt

Watch for the other shoe to drop at Kodak between now and the end of the next quarter with regards to either discontinuing film or selling off the remaining business.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anybody have any thoughts on the Calbe RO9 "Rodinal" formula?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Rodinal been my go-to developer since I started B&W, and I have been using APX 100 ever since. Sad to see them go, wish somebody else buy out the company and keeping them on the market.

Well, I think it's time now to find alternatives, I'd give delta 100 a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by abeku
    Hi Paul,

So far as I know, J&C Expo is made by Emaks.
    Emaks paper is made by Fotokemika, Croatia - manufacturer of another (nowadays) familiar brand, i.e. of "Efke" films.

Fotokemika's price list states as follows:

"Emaks K" = baryta base, "full-weight paper" (?), 230 g/m3

"Efkebrom PE, Emaks PE" = RC base, "half-weight paper" (?), 190 g/m3

There's also their variant of variable contrast paper - "Varycon".

I use their Emaks PE (RC) regularly. Good stuff (not that I know any better ).

Denis

Images
    The Formulary offers a Rodinal clone doesn't it? If not, I'm sure that they will.
    I have an unopned 500 ml bottle right now. I don't have to woory for a few years at least.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    The Formulary offers a Rodinal clone doesn't it? If not, I'm sure that they will.
    I recall a formula that advertises itself as a Rodinal close, yes.
    I just got off the phone and ordered all the Rodinal and Neutol WA from the local camera stores. Enough to last me quite a while.

It looks like that coating rod idea is looking better and better.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agfa

Agfa always did things in a unique way: Portriga, APX 100, and Rodinal.

Well, Portriga is gone, and irreplaceable.

Rodinal is easy to make, and to buy.

APX 100, another tough one to lose. The special quality it is it's color sensitivity: if one needs to make a single exposure and record every complexion on the planet, flatteringly, APX 100 is the film. It is the ultimate "people film".

Losing THIS film ( and the dull similarities of those which remain ) make a good case for digital.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    Anybody have any thoughts on the Calbe RO9 "Rodinal" formula?
    It's not the same as what is currently marketed as Rodinal which contains potassium bromide. R09 is said to be closer to the original version of Rodinal. The name R09 stands for the 9th Rezept (recipe) in the Agfa formula book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just started using APX100 and 400 this year and love the results. I think I may buy up a few bulk rolls of APX100. How long do you think bulk rolls of APX would last in a refrigerator?
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I love Rodinal, Neutol-WA, and Agfa's VC fiber paper, I've been working toward substitutes for all of them for the last few months as I've believed this day was fast approaching. The thing that I found amusing in the first article was this quote:

During the last few weeks, negotiations with potential investors failed, obviously due to disagreements about the value of the licence for marketing the AgfaPhoto brand.
    I guess that the folks at Agfa didn't want to admit that their name was pretty much worthless since they'd been dumping products for so long. I've been pissed off at them since the end of APX25, and ending production of all 120 film while selling off you 35mm stocks at bargain-basement prices is not the way to build the value of your brand name. I think everyone I know now associates the Agfa name with, "A disaster waiting to happen"...holding out for more money for a name like that wasn't too wise.

I do hope that someone out there picks up their formulas and continues to produce some of their products (I still have a couple of bulk rolls of APX100 buried in the 'fridge), but if they think their name is worth a bundle then I can't imagine what they think their product formulas are worth.

(Sorry...I'm in pain today, and that always leaves me a little cynical.)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin