Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,133   Online: 889

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    Fuji is interested. Besides, Agfa holds the patents for
    the new technology high speed film emulsions. Perhaps
    we will see something come of it. Agfa has just been
    sitting on it. Dan
    I find it interesting that Fuji would buy the technology from Agfa if others on another site say Agfa has nothing to offer. I've heard of this technology before and wondered what ever came of it. I thought maybe the new tech films from Fuji and Kodak incorporated some of this technology. Regardless I have not read anything that seems to indicate Fuji wants to buy Agfas film tech, but only its lab machine division.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What will happen to the new Rollei films produced at geveart?
    I doubt Rollei would spend money on new films produced at Gevaert if Agfa is closing for good (unless of course they intend to buy that part).

I really don't know what to do without Scala. I will miss RSX for color but I can substitute it with some Kodak films. APX100 is good, but i rarely use it and can live without it. I will miss Agfa paper and Agfa Neutol WA. Chemistry is however not a big problem as one can always find worthy substitues or buy the chemicals to make one.

On the positive side (if there is any), fewer producers may make it easier for the few remaining companies. I do hope one of them buys AgfaPhoto, or at least the film and paper division.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo
    They lost $1.03 billion predominantly due to ever-increasing declines in film sales and $900 million in accounting charges.

Who is going to buy the film business or provide them with exit financing for it?

Kodak now has very little alternative but to keep doing what they're doing because their debt rating is so awful it's doubtful they can drum up the finances to do much of anything.
    There is probably no one out there who will buy the film business, unless a player steps up from China or Southeast Asia and pays Kodak pennies on the dollar for the film coating lines. But stock holders will not stand for billion dollar losses every quarter. Quickest way to stem the bleeding is to cut payroll. Layoff all the film workers is a logical first step. Kodak can then do a few things. Sit on the shuttered facilities waiting for a buyer. Find someone else to purchase the machines and produce Kodak products. But probably the avenue they will take will be to dismantle the machines, sell the buildings and real estate and take a one time hit against earnings.

Agfa's machines stand a better chance of being purchased if only because they are in closer proximity to possible new mfg locations in Eastern Europe.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    There is probably no one out there who will buy the film business, unless a player steps up from China or Southeast Asia and pays Kodak pennies on the dollar for the film coating lines. But stock holders will not stand for billion dollar losses every quarter. Quickest way to stem the bleeding is to cut payroll. Layoff all the film workers is a logical first step. Kodak can then do a few things. Sit on the shuttered facilities waiting for a buyer. Find someone else to purchase the machines and produce Kodak products. But probably the avenue they will take will be to dismantle the machines, sell the buildings and real estate and take a one time hit against earnings.

Agfa's machines stand a better chance of being purchased if only because they are in closer proximity to possible new mfg locations in Eastern Europe.
    Jim-

You're missing A LOT here. Kodak does not survive without film right now - PERIOD. Without depreciation or the cashflow generated by film it's out of business tomorrow. Maybe sooner.

The billion dollar losses were mostly due to a single $900 million accounting charge.

Who is going to buy Agfa's film-based plant, property, and equipment in E. Europe??

Sorry but your analysis doesn't make much sense at all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's a shame. Just after I finally got my FP4+ negs looking good in Rodinal, and after I try MCP310 RC paper and love it. I can't say I'm surprised, though. I'll just have to head down to my local camera store tomorrow and show my support for Ilford by buying some more film and trying one of their film developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I first used Rodinal with Panatomic-x and then found a new film called Adox. I researched it out in Popular Photography and found a fifties article on it. I found the new film was really old. Same with the developer.

The Agfa web site looks like the Kodak site. They are all D I G I T A L. They could save a lot of money if they just used the same site.

I guess it's back to the old standby philosophy; conflict, accommodation, assimilation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems Fuji will place a bid today, agfa recently turned down a bid from an english company. (forgot the name.)

So who says 120 will not be made in teh future? It's up to the future owner. Fuji APX100 would sound fun to me.

cheers!
    Quinten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got done making some prints with MCC and now I read this. Great. I guess we all better start hoping that the gods smile on Ilford and somehow allow them to make it. I hope at least one major manufacturer survives. As I understand it, the key to making quality film and paper is producing them in large numbers so as to maintain consistency of the emulsion. The little companies seem plagued with issues like pinholes, batch inconsistency and other problems because it's hard to nail down the process when you only make small production runs from time to time. I hope the day never comes when we are forced to accept these things but I guess its inevitable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there an Ilford developer that can be diluted like Rodinal? I first used Rodinal for reasons of economy, getting 50-odd developments from a single bottle of dev saved me a lot of money. Now I use Rodinal because I love the negs it produces and I know it pretty much inside out. So I am not looking forward to having to use developers that don't give me the economy or look of Rodinal.

(I have also tried DD-X, but it is not as economical as Rodinal although I do like the negs it produces.)

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What will happen to the new Rollei films produced at geveart?
    Rollei Infra Red is produced at Gevaert in Mortsel. Gevaert is not involved at all in this mess!
    I doubt Rollei would spend money on new films produced at Gevaert if Agfa is closing for good (unless of course they intend to buy that part).
    Indeed maybe an option for Rollei/Maco to access the regular B&W market for less special films in more quantity when they buy one production APX line.
    I really don't know what to do without Scala
    Try Fomapan R100, or Rollei R3 in reversal bath development. Scala, R3 and R100 are going without any problems in the Fomapan R100 reversal kit.

As precaution our Fotohuis bought the whole Rodinal stock in Germany from the most major supplier of Agfa products. We will see how things are more or less terminated by the end of this year and I am sure some parts of Agfa Photo will be sold to some interested companies.

Best regards,

Robert

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin