Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,270   Posts: 1,534,451   Online: 997

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Is there an Ilford developer that can be diluted like Rodinal? I first used Rodinal for reasons of economy, getting 50-odd developments from a single bottle of dev saved me a lot of money. Now I use Rodinal because I love the negs it produces and I know it pretty much inside out. So I am not looking forward to having to use developers that don't give me the economy or look of Rodinal.

(I have also tried DD-X, but it is not as economical as Rodinal although I do like the negs it produces.)
    I don't think any Ilford developer can be diluted to the extent that Rodinal can be. Ilford recommend Ilfosol S or ID-11 1+3 for sharpness (which I guess is what you want from Rodinal negs). For economy, if you do not want to make up from powder, I think Ilfotec LC29 is the most economical, mixed 1+19

Alternately, if you want to keep the Rodinal look, Retrophotographic stock Adox APH09 which is allegedly the original Rodinal formula.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just purchased the last batch of Rodinal available locally. The shop manager told me on the phone that they were instructed not to take any more orders....

I got 3 large packs (10 bottles of 125 ml in each pack) - it should be enough for some time. Then we'll find some other manufacturer with similar formula (Calbe A09 or the above mentioned APH09)...

Makes me think whether we'll soon all be branded as "alternative photography" practitioners

I just hope Croatian Fotokemika (Efke films and Emaks paper) doesn't go down the drain...

Regards,

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P.

I just hope Croatian Fotokemika (Efke films and Emaks paper) doesn't go down the drain...

Denis
    If they do, it would be personal disaster! I haven't heard anything about any financial problems regarding Fotokemika so I hope they are in a good shape. Have you heard anything regarding this matter, Denis?
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by abeku
    If they do, it would be personal disaster! I haven't heard anything about any financial problems regarding Fotokemika so I hope they are in a good shape. Have you heard anything regarding this matter, Denis?
    I check on them from time to time (every couple of months) via phone, when placing direct orders, and the people there assure me that they are planning to stay - no apparent problems.

They've completed the restructuring process (under the Croatian laws), and actually changed the name on the invoices I receive - it used to be "Fotokemika - under bankruptcy" (rough translation ), and now it's "Fotokemika nova".

So, they should be OK. They do mention that they will probably have to raise the prices, since the suppliers of raw materials (gelatine and whatnot) have increased theirs due to drop in demand and quantities, but that's old news, and was to be expected.

So far, they are OK

Keep your fingers crossed, though....

Denis

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Now I use Rodinal because I love the negs it produces and I know it pretty much inside out. So I am not looking forward to having to use developers that don't give me the economy or look of Rodinal.
    Try Calbe R09 (available from J&C in the US), or Fomadon R09 (available from Retro Photographic in the UK). I'm not sure if these are the same product advertised under different names, but I believe both are basically the original Rodinal formula (vs. one that's been "tweaked" over time by Agfa). The dilution is slightly different than that for Agfa's Rodinal, but I don't recall the details. Photographer's Formulary also has its own Rodinal-like developer, but the description sounds like it's a powder kit you mix yourself. Given the chemicals in Rodinal, I'm not sure if they'd ship internationally. Finally, you can mix your own; the formula is here, and I'm sure other places, as well. Be careful, though; mixing Rodinal requires handling potassium hydroxide, which is very nasty stuff.

In short, Rodinal users need not mourn too much over the demise of Agfa, at least not because of the demise of Rodinal. Something very similar to the current Agfa Rodinal will continue to be available from other sources and/or as a do-it-yourself mix. The same can't be said about the films and papers; if nobody buys up the formulas and continues selling them, they're gone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Calbe R09 is comming from Calbe in the former DDR (eastern Germany), it's more or less a copy of the original Rodinal. Fomadon R09 is comming from Foma Hradec Kralové, Czech Republic. http://www.foma.cz/foma/produkt/Foto...nam=cernob_fot

So far no need for us importing chemicals from Foma due to the fact we have an excelent chemical Dutch factory Amaloco Photochemicals and Agfa was also on the corner. If we are going out of stock for Agfa Rodinal we will certainly change over to Fomadon R09 imported from the Czech Republic.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    My wife and I took a trip to Longleat Safari Park in the UK at the weekend on the spur of the moment. I had used the last of my Fuji colour neg film but thought "no problem,there will be plenty at the Park shop. These places usually have a range of Kodak and Fuji albeit at an expensive price. Very few non photographic shops seem to stock Agfa. Certainly none of the big supermarket chain in the U.K. do. That may be Agfa's problem.

Anyway I was surprised to find that the Park was exclusively Agfa film. So at least one tourist attraction had opted for Agfa. Anyway I had no choice and bought it. I have yet to develop and print from it.

Just as a matter of interest what can I expect from it compared to Fuji? Is it as punchy and warm? What is its colour signature? The subject matter was wild animals - no surprise - and the weather was bright but overcast with sunny intervals.

To be honest I don't suppose I would ever have tried Agfa but for the circumstances. Problem now is that even if I love it, I'd better buy lots as it will soon disappear.

Thanks for any comment so on its qualities.

Pentaxuser.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Walgreens stores in Las Vegas are selling 24 exp iso color film called Studio 35 regularly 2.59 for 1.00 per roll.....the film is made in Germany for Walgreens...

also this morning I purchased 17 oz (500 ml) of rodinal for 6.95

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus
    I find it interesting that Fuji would buy the technology from
    Agfa if others on another site say Agfa has nothing to offer.
    I've heard of this technology before and wondered what
    ever came of it. I thought maybe the new tech films from
    Fuji and Kodak incorporated some of this technology.
    Very interesting that "what ever came of it". Reminds me of
    the Cold Fusion excitement some years ago. There are a few
    posting to this site and others who claim to have the inside
    on what is going on. But not a word. I think it a very
    important discovery. Why the lid on so tight?

From what little I've been able to glean from the WWW
    the process is no more than the addition of some not
    very exotic chemical to the emulsion. An easy three
    stop speed increase. I remember thinking that it
    could possibly be an at home treatment.

Perhaps that is reason for no news; the process, for
    who knows why, is not amenable to mass production.
    I'll likely follow up on the matter. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I began printing with Record-Rapid 111, Portriga and Brovira. Since all all of these disapeared my main paper is their MCC.
    I'm really attached with Agfa paper, they have a special touch that Ilford never had (in my eyes).
    I feel miserable.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin