Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,846   Online: 933

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    that's ok randy, i make up the difference for you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have time, but no money... So, about 200 is mine quota, and i hope next few months it will improve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1
    Hell, I just don't know if I want to go to the expense of building my home darkroom------perhaps I should just keep using the kitchen at night when all the rest of the world is asleep! My wife tends to tolerate the kitchen that way for about 4 days!-----It's extremely frustrating but maybe that is the safe move and I should just be happy with that.

Good day,

Chuck
    Chuck:

If you have the space for a darkroom, it is quite possible to design a room that works well for that purpose, but can also be functional for other purposes, if your needs change, or you are trying to attract buyers for a home.

A room with counters and cupboards can be, with the right sort of customization, used as a hobby room, a general work room, a great laundry room, or a kitchen. You just need to design your darkroom so that it can easily be converted to these other uses, if the need arises.

If you wish to keep things flexible, you probably want to avoid large, photography oriented sinks and plumbing. Trays can be put on table or counter tops and large kitchen or wash basin sinks can serve both photographic and other purposes.

Electrical wiring can be arranged with both darkroom usage and general purpose use in mind. I would avoid placing electrical outlets in the middle of walls - put them at normal room hights, and use power bars or extension cords where necessary.

Safelights that fit into regular light sockets are available - just be sure to have two sets of lights and switches - one for regular light, one for safelight.

You can even use free standing (i.e. removable) cupboards for storage and free standing tables for all your work surfaces, although it would be a good idea to have either a really heavy table or some sort of wall attachment for your enlarger.

Hope this assists.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm

Yes

Until the beginning of this year, I felt the same. I stucked to the digital scanning, hoping the inkjet products to get better in quality. That was a big mistake because I'm a darkroom printer, not professionally trained, but I have enough experience to let go of the use of darkroom for my photogpraphs. And the more I thought about it, the more I wanted it back.

So, I built it in the winter time and started to print without having much control (temperature, running water, etc) in the environment at the time. I spent the spring to shop around, the summer to organize and re-organize the stuff, and now this fall to finally feel home for the most part. I've been doing everything DIY, always learning from every little mistake I make.

And my mind is so clear now. It's like marrying to someone, I imagine; if you love her from the bottom of your heart, you'll keep her and and do everything to save and protect her from all the trouble that gets in your way. Gosh, what am I talking about? But at least that's what I feel. Anyway, think this as your last chance because it may be if you're serious about photography and thinking about it. And don't worry about the supplies, they won't disappear so soon. Just learn to use them more efficently than before.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    I have time, but no money... So, about 200 is mine quota, and i hope next few months it will improve
    I hope so to, then I can spend less LOL My wife swears I am buying every store in the area out!

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    ... but I have enough experience NOT to let go of the use of darkroom for my photogpraphs.
    Sorry, this is what I meant.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm glad to hear all the optimism, after talking with my wife, we will wait until our car is paid off before diverting funds to a darkroom project, about a year.

Have to admit, photography ebbs and flows in my life and most often regulated by cash flow (this guy doesn't own a credit card--those things can get a person in real trouble). So, during periods of inactivity (such as this summer when I was hit with a $1,200 plumbing bill), I tend to step away from it all; it drives me crazy to think about it without doing it! I'm not informed as most of you on product availability and issues affecting the future of things. So, when I climb back in it, there seems to always be this pervasive thought on the future of analog photography, and it gets me thinking to much I guess. It's good to know that there are people such as yourselves to get a another take on the big picture.

Fintan:

That is a curious thing to me about what the average hobbiest spends soley on film, chemicals, and paper on a yearly basis, equipment and accessories do not count, what does it cost in a year just to continue photographing, developing, and printing. Sounds like a good thread to start. Anybody who derives their primary income from photogaphy would not count in that average.

CP

Shooter
    Large Format
    BUILD IT ! I planned a darkroom into the design of our house when we built 5 years ago. At the time, it seemed that everyone was giving “helpful advice” concerning the end of film, and why I should not waste the space on a darkroom. But I built the darkroom anyway, and I’ve never regretted it. I think Firecracker sums it up pretty good….
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    It's like marrying to someone, I imagine; if you love her from the bottom of your heart, you'll keep her and and do everything to save and protect her from all the trouble that gets in your way.
    —Eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The only things I buy off the shelf are film and paper...I mix up all my own chemicals. If film and paper wasn't made any more (which will never happen) I'd learn how to coat my own

Murray

Shooter
    127 Format
    a Darkroom is an indulgance.

You want it. You deserve it. You should enjoy it. You should do it.

Tomorrow is a whole other world, and right now building a darkroom is the right thing to do - at least I just bought a 5x4 enlarger. I don't NEED one, but it makes me feel better.

Indulge yourself. The financial outlay is minimal in the bigger picture, and you're playing your part by making a commitment to film...

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin