Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,558   Online: 1107
      
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    SchwinnParamount:

    2. I'm not sure why you find it important to note that Kodak is an American company. Are you trying to say that being American is particularly bad? I personally don't see how the nationality of a company makes them exceptionally 'evil'.

    Never said being American company is bad or evil. I am American and love America however old large American companies have had problems. Kodak, Westinghouse, All of the American Automobile companies. My point was and still is that Kodak is heading down the same road as Westinghouse did in the mid eighties. I am not blaming or hostile at Kodak. Just making a comparison.


    Elvis
    Being American is not particulary bad. But, you must admit there are difference between USA and for example Germany. In German constitution is written that it is social state (not Socialistic, but social). Which means, atleast by constitution, for Germans there are some things more important than profit. I didn't hear something like that for USA, but I could easily be wrong. I belive that is difference.

    I don't know why Kodak did what they did. If situation is that they are going to negative saldo, than OK. But if they for example made 500 millions before, and now make 10 millions, and that is reason for stopping production, then it is legally correct, but for me morally wrong decision. They will left people without jobs, and left photographers without material, because they earn less than before, not because they losing money in a way that they will got to ligquidation. If that is case, than for me Kodak is...

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Floriduh
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,272
    Images
    2
    "I think it would be great if everyone could go to the Kodak site and read the above quote for themselves and then write Kodak a nice note thanking them for their commitment to support traditional b/w analog photography."

    As the originator of the thread, I would appreciate if you posted the thread over to Kodak for all of us. Weather they give a rat's patootie is another thing, but at least we will have hopefully had our voices read.

    I will continue to experiment with TriX and D76 in 4x5 only because Delta 400 isn't available. I use Delta 400 in mf.

    It would be interesting to figure out what amount of film all of us at Apug have used by the end of the year.

  3. #33
    BruceN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wyoming
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    Being American is not particulary bad. But, you must admit there are difference between USA and for example Germany. In German constitution is written that it is social state (not Socialistic, but social). Which means, atleast by constitution, for Germans there are some things more important than profit. I didn't hear something like that for USA, but I could easily be wrong. I belive that is difference.
    I wrote 4 paragraphs responding to this and then decided "What's the point?"

    Look here and tell me where you find the section about maximizing profits:

    http://www.constitutioncenter.org/ex...on/index.shtml

    Pay particular attention to amendments 1 through 10.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,801
    BruceN, I already wrote I can easilly be wrong. Maybe reason for my opinion is that I live in Europe and have relatives who lives in Germany, so I know from theire experiences what is real life there, and I know about USA only from media (and Michael Moore work ). So, again, I can easily be wrong. Well, I have mine opinion about political issues, but as this is thread about Kodak, I will not abuse this thread.

    Regards

  5. #35
    Dave Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,049
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    (and Michael Moore work ). So, again, I can easily be wrong. Well, I have mine opinion about political issues, but as this is thread about Kodak, I will not abuse this thread.

    Regards
    Awe Ha!!! that explains it, if you listening to Michael, they it explains alot of things!!! LOL



    Dave

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,801
    Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

  7. #37
    BruceN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wyoming
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    BruceN, I already wrote I can easilly be wrong. Maybe reason for my opinion is that I live in Europe and have relatives who lives in Germany, so I know from theire experiences what is real life there, and I know about USA only from media (and Michael Moore work ). So, again, I can easily be wrong. Well, I have mine opinion about political issues, but as this is thread about Kodak, I will not abuse this thread.

    Regards
    Ok, point taken. If Michael Moore and his ilk are our ambassadors to the world then God help us!

    I lived in Germany for nearly eight years, still speak the language (though not nearly as well as I once did) and made a lot of really wonderful friends while I was there, some of whom I still correspond with. Still, as much as I liked it there, I wouldn't trade. I'd love to go back and visit (probably will in a year or two), but not to live.

    As to Kodak, I don't for a second dispute thier right to do what they think is best for thier company, even if I don't agree with it. That doesn't mean they're going to get my business back. Ilford and a couple of smaller companies have won that fair and square and will be keeping it as long as they deserve it.

    Bruce

  8. #38
    Brac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    627
    I can't see Kodak disappearing from the black & white film market - after all they set up new facilities in the US for these films a year or two back and then there's always that huge factory they have in China. It's already making some of the colour print films for the European market so it wouldn't be a surprise if eventually some of the black & white film got made there. I suppose eventually workers in China will get paid decent wages and prisoners will no longer be used as slave labour in some manufacturing concerns, so then what will all those western companies rushing to China do?

  9. #39
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,019
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac
    ... I suppose eventually workers in China will get paid decent wages and prisoners will no longer be used as slave labour in some manufacturing concerns, so then what will all those western companies rushing to China do?
    I'd love to see it too but since labor unions are illegal there and the corporations there are so in love with obscene profits, I don't expect Chinese workers to earn a decent wage until there is another 'cultural revolution'.

    Does it seem 'fair' that a country which does not allow for collective bargaining to be trading on the same footing as the rest of the world?

  10. #40
    BruceN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wyoming
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    I'd love to see it too but since labor unions are illegal there and the corporations there are so in love with obscene profits, I don't expect Chinese workers to earn a decent wage until there is another 'cultural revolution'.

    Does it seem 'fair' that a country which does not allow for collective bargaining to be trading on the same footing as the rest of the world?
    Nope.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin