Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,709   Online: 914

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Alternative to APX100

With APX100 disappearing, is there any other current film available which is similar to it?

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The new Rollei Retro 100 is supposed to be APX emulsion, but I haven`t tried it yet.
    But kodak Plus X and Ilford FP4+ are close enough alternatives...

Shooter
    35mm
    I've seen claims that Fomapan 100 is pretty close to APX 100 in its results, but I've never done a side-by-side comparison myself, and I'm not familiar enough with either film to "just know" that it's true. If nothing else, it's worth shooting a couple of test rolls to assess the emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thing that distinguishes APX 100, for me, is the color rendition. Very different from any other medium speed film. This winter, I'll play with some filters.

Here's a reasonable suggestive composite of films' response, quickly aligned over one another.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So FP4+ has reduced blue sensitivity (compared to the others)? That explains why it's so great for landscapes - for someone who doesn't bother with yellow filters
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could be... isn't that cool ?

Like APX seems to be a baby step toward Ortho rendition for faces...

All the obsession over grain and sharpness miss the vital thing that films do: they see !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don;t think there is/will be asubsittute
    We'll have to shoot whatever is available at the time.
    I've moved to EFKE 100 and fuji Acros in that speed range

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Could be... isn't that cool ?

Like APX seems to be a baby step toward Ortho rendition for faces...

All the obsession over grain and sharpness miss the vital thing that films do: they see !
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Like you APX100 used to be my standard. I now use FP-4 for 8x10. Fp-4 and Acros for 4x5. I semi-stand develop with night vision goggles. With fp-4 I can watch emulsion side, with acros I have to watch base side.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    The thing that distinguishes APX 100, for me, is the color rendition. Very different from any other medium speed film. This winter, I'll play with some filters.

Here's a reasonable suggestive composite of films' response, quickly aligned over one another.
    Is there a scale like this for 400ISO films?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To me Fuji Acros is a possible candidate. There are a lot of alternatives including Acros, but nothing like APX 100.

Rodinal, a lot of alternatives too. But if Agfa has changed its formula, then there will be some differences, tiny differences.

I am still hope Agfa will be back, even in another form.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin