Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,619   Posts: 1,647,723   Online: 788

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    I actually wonder if Kodak will be around in its current form, or even at all, in a few years time. Be ready for an announcement like "Kodak sells film manufacturing wing to Chinese"
    Matt
    Don't forget that Kodak already has a huge film production facility in China which is reported as the largest in Asia, as well as fingers in other pies in that country. Already colour films formerly made in the Kodak factory in France are now being made in the China plant. I don't believe Kodak are going to pull out of film manufacture in the near future, although a few people on this site seem to be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought, an attitude which I don't understand. I think what we will find is that if their film sales continue to decline, eventually all the film they make will be made at the factory in China. That is not something I look forward to but better that than no Kodak film at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is good news, considering the rumours floating around with EK and Fuji.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Just a quick note to add to this thread, whilst we are talking about 'high end' silver photography, its current and future niches, and the products and companies that will remain, please remember that many, many photo students around the world still 'start wet' and train 'wet' and most of that is mono and stable, sure digital is used increasingly in education, especially in the non photo school sector, but students are a major, major group of users for us.

I was interested in the 'coat your own section' as you know some people do...especially when they need emulsions on none photo bases but you must listen to photo engineer...he is correct it is quite a manufacturing process, if you would like to see it in action we at ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology are willing to arrange a visit to our manufacturing site at Mobberley, England ( just south of Manchester ) for you APUG members. I mentioned this on the PERCEPTOL LIVES thread and not many people seemed to be interested, still the offer remains.

Simon Galley.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    wow - Simon - what an offer. I would be very keen to come up and have a look at what is going on there. Unfortunately, I'm at the other end of the country, but if I'm passing by, I'll be sure to take you up on the offer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Leon,

I fear it will have to be a special trip, I will arrange a date in March 2006 so as I can get 30 or so people together, they can tour the factory, meet our scientists, chemists and also meet our marketing people.

Simon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't know that I can make it to England in March, but maybe in the future, if the first APUG conference goes well in Toronto, we can try to have an APUG conference in the UK and coordinate it with a trip to Mobberley. From New York, it's often cheaper and easier to get to London than to many closer US destinations.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley
    Dear Leon,

I fear it will have to be a special trip, I will arrange a date in March 2006 so as I can get 30 or so people together, they can tour the factory, meet our scientists, chemists and also meet our marketing people.

Simon.

Simon - I was posting slightly tongue in cheek, but I do think this is an opportunity too good to be missed ... I'll post a different thread to see if that draws more attention. Can it be early march? I think that would be much easier ... The UK apug members (those most likely to be able to make it to the factory) are having a meet-up in mid-late april, so early in march would not make it too close for people to feel they have to decide between the two.

cheers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd definitely be interested in such a visit.

Also, Simon perhaps we could interest you in visiting us at our Gathering in the Dales in April...?

It's an informal meet-up-and-shoot type of thing involving photography, gossip, beer and food (not necessarily in that order!). If it appeals to you then it'd be great to have you along.

All the best,

Frank
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I don't know that I can make it to England in March, but maybe in the future, if the first APUG conference goes well in Toronto, we can try to have an APUG conference in the UK and coordinate it with a trip to Mobberley. From New York, it's often cheaper and easier to get to London than to many closer US destinations.
    David, the APUG conference in Toronto is about the same time as the ICPS conference in Rochester which will draw photographic scientists and engineers from all over the world.

Kodak will be sponsoring tours of their facilities during that conference just as they have in times gone by. So will RIT.

Many APUGGERS will be going by or through Rochester on their way to Toronto. Has anyone ever contacted EK to schedule a tour? You might be surprised at the response. I have no way of knowing either way, but you never can tell.

I can say this, a high speed coating machine, going at full speed is awesome, even in the dark. Well, especially in the dark. A small scale machine would be a real treat for you to watch. They often do coatings in the light to 'tune' them up. That is always interesting to watch.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hey, that's an idea. I'm not one of the conference organizers, but maybe it could be arranged.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin