Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,735   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My Letter from Ilford chairman

Recently I wrote to the management team at Ilford saying how pleased and impressed I was that they had managed to succeed with the management buyout.

2 days later I received a personal response from Dr Philip Harris, the Chairman and Managing Director, thanking me for my letter.

This was the bulk of the letter. I'm sure he would not mind me publishing it here.

"It was with some trepidation that we embarked on the MBO [management buyout], and it was a tricky sale pitch explaining that we were forcasting in the region of a 20% decline in sales this year. Fortunately Ilford is a business that createsa great deal of goodwill with customers are we are fortunate to have some very loyal ones"
    "We now have been trading profitably for seven and one half month, and are very looking forward to the future. We have been incredibly fortunate in the news that Agfa Photo has slipped into receivership, and that Kodak has ceased manufacture of Black and White paper products, it must only be a matter of time before they pull out of film as well"

I thought it was great that he had taken time out of what must be a very busy schedule to write personally.

Hope this is of interest,
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for sharing this, Matt! That was cool that he took time to respond!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is great news. Once again I say....support Ilford.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They've got my support!!! Have for a long time and will in the future. Just wish they're prices had not jump so. They are still worth it however. Love'm
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If they become the "only" game in town, at least they will also be the "best" game in town. (IMHO of course)
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    We have been incredibly fortunate in the news that Agfa Photo has slipped into receivership, and that Kodak has ceased manufacture of Black and White paper products, it must only be a matter of time before they pull out of film as well"

Matt
    ROTFLMAO

I loved this part.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    ROTFLMAO

I loved this part.
    Well, at least he's honest... The competition dropping like flies trapped in a chameleon factory and others moving out of the business must be a godsend to Ilford however much some may make polite "tsk, tsk, what a pity..." noises...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for posting this.

I will continue with my support of Ilford products, of course.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I like Ilford and agree that we should support them, but let's not forget about some of the other great companies that are committed to film and paper like Kentmere, Oriental Seagull, Efke and others. These companies all make fine products - and some of them have been sponsers of APUG.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just FYI, I had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Antonio Perez, current head of Eastman Kodak. He too said that he was trying to personally answer and address the concerns of customers like all of you who wrote Kodak concerned with their exit from the B&W paper arena. He is personally answering as many customer letters as his schedule will permit.

This concern and communication is not unique to Ilford, and EK is fully aware at the highest level over the concerns generated by their actions. AAMOF, Kodak was losing a lot of money in the B&W paper area because notwithstanding a certain degree of customer loyalty, sales had dropped to a point where the losses were unsustainable and EK was forrced to leave the market. The drop in sales was far beyond that predicted and led directly to the problems at Agfa and Ilford as well as at Kodak.

It is a real shame but a fact of the marketplace. He cited figures that were apalling. I was very sad over this discussion and it is one of the reasons that I have begun making emulsions in my own darkroom and readying myself to pass on a legacy to those APUG people interested in silver halide photography. His comments helped firm up my resolve to help conventional photography survive this current crisis.

PE

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin