Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,779   Online: 1067

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Polaroid and Large Format

I'm getting closer and closer to getting my first Large Format camera.

I'm mostly going LF for shooting Polaroid and doing manipulations [MF Polaroids are just a little small for me]

My question in Product Availability is how confident would you be that Polaroid will continue with LF films for a few years anyway.

Are there any Polaroid experts here that can give some opinions please.

Fintan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No individual's opinion of Polaroid's future is likely to be any more valid than another. But, the more people who buy Polaroid products, the rosier their future is likely to be.

Although a bit expensive, 8x10 Polaroids are wonderful.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just an opinion but I'm surprised they are still in business. Digital has to impact their sales greatly due to its instant aspect, plus the colors and tonalities of their pack films really don't match any current film emulsions, the cost is high, and their latest attempts at consumer formats have been appalling. The R&D and manufacturing costs probably are more than conventional silver halide materials and to top it all off, the longevity of the images has always been suspect IMO.

The 809 and 669 emulsions for transfers are nice and types 55 & 665 positive/negative films are wonderful, but with so many commercial studios going digital, there can't be much more than a niche market for those films now. Sadly, I don't think it is sustainable given current trends in the amateur and studio markets.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think in my opinion that Polaroid is going to be a long time offereing, we were having difficulty is obtaining some of the materials a couple of years ago when they were in Banko courts, and the declining use in the studio market has not bolstered their standing amoung the photographers who used their materials, with the change in the digital markets in studio work, I think your going to see a declining availability of the polaroid emulsions over the next few years, pershaps some other manufacture will start to take up any slack, but I seriously doubt it.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When they went into Chapter 11 they basically wrote off the pension holders and anybody else they could. The people who took over the various parts got the business for almost nothing. I think they'll keep running it if the cash produced exceeds cash costs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin