Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,071   Online: 1081

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe if we all support Maco and they find there is a continuing market for these products they might be able to put together a business case to buy the actual production lines as well from Agfa and start production again. Optimistic I know but what drives business is always the market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At least if you liked the Agfa paper you now have an opportunity to stock up and put a few boxes in the freezer.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maco have purchased the remaining Agfa stocks and will be flogging them off as long as supplies last.

I follow the discussions on the various German photography boards and it seems pretty clear that Maco have no intention of purchasing the paper or film production lines, nor would that be economically feasible.

As for Rodinal my understanding is that the A&O company who have taken over the chemicals plant will continue making it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Makes sense.

Thanks
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Has Maco ever manufactured anything anyway? My sense is that all of their products have always been rebranded from manufacturers like Efke.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Has Maco ever manufactured anything anyway?
    Sure they have... a lot of stories.. hype, missinformation, noise,...... dissapointment and anger..
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format

On Agfa, Whores and "Good News"

Quote Originally Posted by pauldc
    Maybe if we all support Maco and they find there is a continuing market for these products they might be able to put together a business case to buy the actual production lines as well from Agfa and start production again.
    We are talking about large and expensive to maintain machines and Schroeder (Maco) is just a little pisser and market caller. The deal they cut was to get a large block of the rest papers and films (at probably distress prices) to then re-sell. Its said that he's dropped all dealer margins to those poor saps that he distributed Agfa materials to and raised the prices by, I think, 30% or so. Its, in my view, about more market confusion, garbled information and hype. Hardly good news! It could, of course, be worse.. looking back at Maco/Cachet's little adventure with the "Seagull" brand following Oriental's bankruptcy 10 years ago.. (the details I leave the reader to explore)..
    The B&W photographic market needs stability and the possibility for makers to plan things. Opportunists like Schroeder (who even when he might mean well seems to handle things with the grace of a playground bully) looking time and again to sell sow's ears as silk purses (a long tradition going back decades to even when he had a little darkroom supply company) don't help. Most people in these forums, I think, want a reliable supply of good materials at fair prices and not a round of "Three Card Monty" in the parking lot....
    Edward C. Zimmermann

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    At least if you liked the Agfa paper you now have an opportunity to stock up and put a few boxes in the freezer.
    At least in the US and who like certain products, that opportunity already existed. B&H shows lots of Agfa RC paper as in stock, although the only two FB papers they've got on their site are listed as out of stock. Then there's the recent J&C one-time offer (announced in another thread about two weeks ago), albeit at high prices.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know anything about the person/people behind Maco but I can't see the point of hurling a load of abuse at them. Surely we should be grateful for what they have provided to photographers, such as, to pick a few at random, 127 colour film in negative & slide, infra-red film in roll-film, various developerss, films & papers. They have widened our choice and for that we should, in my view, be grateful. If we don't like it, we don't have to buy it. As to where it's all made, well it's always interesting to know, but that's probably the least important aspect. As they are now apparently involved with Rollei in new projects, it's difficult to believe they are as "bad" as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sorry... but the drug dealers and pushers are NOT your friend..

Quote Originally Posted by Brac
    I don't know anything about the person/people behind Maco
    Ignorance is bliss, eh?

but I can't see the point of hurling a load of abuse at them.
    I'm being polite and given him the benefit of assumption that sometimes he means well.

Surely we should be grateful for what they have provided to photographers,
    Grateful for what?

such as, to pick a few at random, 127 colour film in negative & slide,
    That's not MACO but Efke and by putting his own name on packages he's worked to undermine the Ekfe tradename and to de-couple the film from their producer. Given that Efke is one of the few remaining companies coating its not in our interests.

infra-red film in roll-film, various developerss, films & papers.
    Like Oriental papers where he pushed the price up to levels where hardly anyone in Europe was willing to pay? Do you think high margins (direct imports from high priced Japanese shops is below what German wholesale was and in the US these papers sold at 1/2 the German price from the mailorder discounters) on low volume (many people I know really liked the paper but hardly used it due to its exorbitant price) for Maco is good for keeping the Oriental paper coating machines running? Its not. And... rumours have it once again that the machines have stopped..

If we don't like it, we don't have to buy it. As to where it's all made, well it's always interesting to know, but that's probably the least important aspect.
    It means a lot to the margins and planning of the companies doing the coating.

As they are now apparently involved with Rollei in new projects,
    Rollei is NO longer even Rollei but a marketing company with the brand Rollei. Most of what they do is sell their brand on an assortment of products, especially cheap low grade Asian point-and-shoot digital cameras to be sold with a nice sounding brand name at electronic chains and supermarkets. The well known 6x6 cameras and professional German photographic items are now made by a reborn Franke und Heidecke as "Franke und Heidecke GmbH" (what was previously Rollei Produktion GmbH ) in Braunschweig. The company Rollei (Rollei GmbH) is located in Berlin and their focus is wholly mass market multimedia (digicams, MP3 players etc.) branding--- seeing, I guess, what they can suck out of the brand as they probably run it into the ground (seems like both have found their match in a marriage Rollei-Schroeder made in Heaven).
    Edward C. Zimmermann

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin