Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,448   Online: 1030

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are still plenty of nice films that will let you use those 250 and 440 and such models. Heck, I've got a 350 as well as my AutoPin 210. For most of what I'd use a Polaroid to do, however, I'll be using either 690 or 667; if I want a negative, I'll use my plate cameras, which are slightly less convenient to use than the autoexposure, rangefinder focused Polaroid, but are a good bit cheaper per B&W negative than 665 -- and I don't find myself with $18 worth of 665 still loaded when I want to shoot color in the 'Roid...

For that matter, if and when Polaroid dumps the pack films entirely, it won't be any big deal to convert the nice 100-250-350-360-450 Polaroids to use film holders and sheet film, either 3x4, or 9x12 cm or 4x5 with reduced image area. Matter of fact, I might start looking around for another one specifically *to* convert. Spring back and a few 3x4 film holders, and a nice RF. Hmmm...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ineffablething

Polaroid's website has announced that they are discontinuing type 665 film and current stocks will be gone by the first quarter 2006.

It really makes me feel ill.....
    I pulled out some 665 I had lying around with an expiration of 1/05. It looked ok when I took it out of the wrapper but it had not kept well at all...I was able to get a few images off it but it made a brown goopy mess of the Polaroid adapter. If you go into survivalist mode and make a large purchase of this stuff make sure that you only buy what you will use until the expiration date because it does not keep well.

-JLC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best long-term storage for Polaroid materials is refrigerated, but not frozen, stored flat so the gel doesn't migrate in the pod. It varies some, but with refrigeration most Polaroid materials will last a while past their expiration; long, long ago I shot a roll of Type 47 that was a year past date and it was fine (even with ASA 3000 speed), while more recently (5-6 years ago) I shot an SX-70 pack of Time-Zero that was two years expired, and it worked well -- but its twin didn't survive the intervening time in a drawer; the battery was dead and the film didn't develop even after I transferred it to a pack that still had a live battery; pods were dry.

So, overall, don't figure on a LOT of life past expiration with any Polaroid product -- but some do better than others.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remind me again why I bought that 405 back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You probably bought it because Type 665 was half the price of Type 55.

It's still useful, though -- it'll let you shoot ISO 3000 Type 667, for less cost per 30-second print than the film-only price of big-brand 4x5 films. It'll also let you use Type 690 to get beautiful color prints in 90 seconds, which go a long way to checking lighting and exposure, if not composition (because smaller) before committing a sheet of transparency at $3 per plus another $3 to process...

If you won't want the 405, though, PM me and I'll make you an offer (even if I have to find or fabricate a Graflok back to use it).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a thought, but the trouble I've had with out-of-date polaroid film is the gel solidifying. Would it be possible to expose the film, pull it without breaking the gel pod and dev'ing it in something homemade? Does anyone know the brew? The more I think about it, the more daft it sounds, but if 55 goes, well...

Geoff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That works with Type 55 and is done fairly regularly, and could be done with 665 or 85 by modifying the back (to remove the rollers, though it might be a challenge getting the second tab with such a modified back). With pack films, you'd have to pull the tabs in the dark, because there's nothing to stick the negative and positive together without the gel and the negative would be exposed as soon as you pulled it around the corner with the first tab.

With other types of Polaroid, the negative is paper with a black backing, and though it might be possible to develop it separately, it's almost certainly more pain than it's worth (probably also true of 665/85). It might be possible to replace the gel in a darkroom, but you'd have to separate the two layers (not stuck together, so that's easy), remove the old pod, replace it with a fresh one or a glob of replacement developing gel, then roll the sandwich together (in registration, in the dark) and wait for development -- after first coming up with a replacement for the Polaroid gel and testing it for correct time with a particular material.

When Polaroid finally stops selling film, it'll be a lot easier to just convert the cameras with good enough lenses and RFs to either roll film or conventional sheet film holders -- or just put them on the shelf next to the film pack box cameras and falling plate models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Donald

Thanks for reply. You say that it is done quite often with 55. Disregarding the positive, do you have any idea what kind of developer can be used as a substitute? I've never heard it done before and can't find anything on the net regarding what developer to use. Cheers.

Geoff

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you can use any type of film developer with 55. Developer as you would any other type of sheet film. Be aware that this film is not the same size as 4x5 so if you are using hangers it is going to be a bit of a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili
    Next will be the 55, I guess.
    NOOOOOOOOO!!!! I just discovered Type 55!

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin