Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,386   Online: 1054

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dam, I was contemplating buying a polaroid back for my Mamiya and giving the 665 a try. I guess my mind is made up now. In all honesty, I'm simply amazed that Polaroid is still in existence in the digital age. I would imagine that almost all professionals who need to preview a shot or complex lighting setup use digital (even film shooters). I doubt there is enough of a demand in the fine art market for Polaroid materials but I hope I am wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know any photographers who use polaroid to preview anymore, but I think 55 is such a great film, and I know I'm not alone, that I hope the fine art market keeps it afloat. It won't last forever though. This is why I'm looking into ways of storing it longterm. I don't need the developer or the positive, I just want the neg. Whether I can replicate it using normal dev methods is a different matter. Oh well, let's hope.

Thanks for your reply Ann, BTW. A new thread is needed on this methinks.

Geoff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gwatson
    I don't know any photographers who use polaroid to preview anymore, but I think 55 is such a great film, and I know I'm not alone, that I hope the fine art market keeps it afloat. It won't last forever though. This is why I'm looking into ways of storing it longterm. I don't need the developer or the positive, I just want the neg. Whether I can replicate it using normal dev methods is a different matter. Oh well, let's hope.

Thanks for your reply Ann, BTW. A new thread is needed on this methinks.

Geoff
    I beg your pardon! I still use polaroid for previewing, and I consider myself a photographer! LOL

I have polaroid backs for my LF and my MF gear as well as a NPC back for my 35mm stuff.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Apologies Dave. That should have read "I don't know many photographers who use polaroid to preview, but those who do are generally the best (and at least one of them makes cracking GG)". ;-)

It was more aimed at the fact that most of the ad/commercial photographers I know have all gone dig and therefore don't use polaroid anymore. I don't see colour polaroid film lasting much longer really. However, most of those who use 55 are generally after the neg it produces (aren't they?) rather than the fact that it provides a positive to preview (that being a bonus), so digital, hopefully, has not affected its popularity so much. Well, it's a hope I cling to..

Geoff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know any photographers who use polaroid to preview anymore, ...
    What the heck are you talking about? I still use Polaroids to check my light setups and preview. I also use it to attach to the model release.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ever wished you'd kept your mouth shut?

I said I don't 'know' many. That's not to say they don't exist. If you still use polaroid, then good for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I said I don't 'know' many. That's not to say they don't exist. If you still use polaroid, then good for you.
    Ever wished you used a smilie? I wish I did. I responded in a light hearted manner actually and didn't take offense. It's hard to convey intonation and body language on the web!

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry Art. The end of a long day here in the UK. I'm not usually this humourless. Apologies.

All the best, Geoff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't really ever have a need to preview my shots but if I did I would definitely use a polaroid back to do so and I'm sure there are others here who do just that. Unfortunately, us Apuger's are the exception rather than the norm in today's world of photography. At any rate, I was attracted to the 665 material for the negatives not the prints. I've seen some polaroid shots that look amazing with very distinct tonal qualities. Oh well, another unique product bites the dust. Time to perfect our technique with the ones that promise to be around for a while I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polaroid (or Fuji) is still the best way to check lighting with a medium format camera, at least for me...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin