Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,117   Online: 1116

Shooter
    Medium Format

Chicago's Central Camera ?

I'm discouraged by the "out of stock" "special order"
    "cannot ship" etc product tags from at least one
    supplier. So, I've been doing, via Google, some
    source shopping. Have any an idea if Central
    Camera's in house inventory is close to what
    they list on their site? Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Central Camera is small Mom and Pop store, but they do have a good selection. In Chicago, I frequently went there first since they had more competitive prices than Helix and were definitely cheaper than Calumet.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always had good experiences with Central, though that was way before website presence. Why don't you just contact them and ask? By phone might be best, but if you cannot do that then an email might be helpful.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    FWIW: I visited Central Camera in May. I can't give you actual figures, but they had more darkroom stuff out on the shelf than I've seen in any other place in years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    but they had more darkroom stuff out on the shelf than I've seen in any other place in years.
    They have a large client base that goes to Columbia College or the Art Institute, which are both very nearby.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have no idea about mailorder but they've got lots of film in stock. I think Helix is the best in Chicago as far as film and availability.

mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I lived in Chicago, I rarely shopped at Central Camera because Wolk and Altmanís were just down the street and both had a larger inventory and better prices. However, Wolk and Altmanís are gone and only Central remains.

When I was in Chicago a couple of years ago, I had to go to Central Camera to buy some portrait film because I had used all I brought with me. While I was there, I noticed that they had a good selection of film, used equipment, and new equipment in their small store. In fact, even though I went there just for film, I ended up buying a used 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor lens that they had on the shelf. The film and lens were fairly priced. The service provided by the salesman was exceptional.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If anyone from out of town comes to Chicago, Central Camera is a must see. There aren't many places like this left for sure. It's been in the family for if not over a hundred years close to it! It is really nifty.
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepry
    If anyone from out of town comes to Chicago, Central Camera is a must see. There aren't many places like this left for sure. It's been in the family for if not over a hundred years close to it! It is really nifty.
    I think this is the place I've seen several times from the El, but I've never actually gone in there. I'm not really a gear-head, so do they have a good selection of film at decent prices? I assume they will have all kinds of accessories and such.

fwp

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr
    I think this is the place I've seen several times from the El, but I've never actually gone in there. I'm not really a gear-head, so do they have a good selection of film at decent prices? I assume they will have all kinds of accessories and such.
    If you've never been to Central Camera you need to make a point of going!! They have a large selection of film behind the counter and even more in the back. While the prices of their film isn't low it is fair. When I go there I often wonder how they manage to fit so much stock that small of a store!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin