Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,748   Online: 773

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Petition for 220 film

Hello,
    If you like or would like to use 220 b&w film and work with something else than TXP 320, here is a link with a petition for 220 b&w film : http://www.film220.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I share your disappointment about the availability of black and white film in the 220 size. You might note that Kodak also packages 125PX and BW400CN in 220. But other manufacturers have found the size uneconomical. I really would like to see the Ilford products in this size. There doesn't seem to be any lack of color films in 220 from both Kodak and Fuji, although I would like to see 100UC in that size.

Shooter
    Multi Format

PXP 220

Yes there is PXP 220. But it's hardly available in France and doesn't seem exported to Europe. BW 400 CN is chromogenic, not made for traditional printing with an enlarger. An all-around 400 ISO film would be fine, like HP5 or Neopan 400 or TX400. Ilford used to make HP5 and FP4 in 220 but stoped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Philippe and welcome to APUG.

We have a product availability forum which may be more suitable for your post.

I'd like to use 220 film myself but when buying backs for my old hasselblad I chose one for 120 due to the poor availability of 220. I would gladly buy a 220 back for my camera if more films were available.

Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very happy to sign your petition. 8 6x9 exposures on a roll of 120 are just not enough. Plus, we know that Kodak is not really committed to black and white fine art photography, so it is just a matter of time (probably less time than we think!) until the Plus-X and 320 Tri-X products are discontinued in 220. If Ilford are still making excuses about the legendary broken machine, I hope that you approach Foma and the other eastern european suppliers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where's the place to sign against 220?

I'd rather see all of the remaining B&W film vendors settle on 120 format than waste their money maintaining machines to make various other formats of the same emulsion. I'm happy to have 10 6x7 exposures per roll. If I end up needing more exposures, it only takes about 10 seconds to load more film. If your shooting situation requires exposing many frames in very little time, simply have your assistant keep additional film backs loaded.
    Jacob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well alls I have to say, is you better get at least a million signatures on your petition, or you don't stand a snowballs chance to get these companies back to the 220 side of things, I find the 120 format more than suficiant for the types of shooting that I do, although I have used 220 a bit, I find myself not paying attention as much, when I know I have more to waste..

I am sorry to say, 220, other than for the aerial guys is just not a very economic format for many of the companies anylonger, and it is going to take a heck of alot of commitment on the part of the photographic community to get the companies to change what they are currently producing.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Erickson. If dropping 220 all together and putting all of the manufacturers resources into 120 helps to control costs and makes the film industry more economically healthy, then I'm all for it. There may be some occasions when the extra shots come in handy but 99% of the time a 120 roll is more than enough for me. If I'm going to be taking a high number of action shots I'll most likely use a 35mm SLR anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if anybody is asking all the companies to make 220. The point that companies should be putting all thier effort into 120 is how we're ending up this way. We risk all the companies deciding thier share of the market is too small and bailing. Better that they look to niche markets. Would it kill somebody to produce 220? I don't know but I bet it would create some loyal customers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the eBay ads that sell the Mamiya 220 inserts saying they are rare and hard to find. Really?, I have several. Never used them and now probably won't be. I have had them since I bought the camera new and just never used them even when film was available. I just glad to have 120. If I had a wish it wouldn't be for a longer film but a discontinued film.

Curt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin