Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,238   Online: 709

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Viva GB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have any of you people ever been to a builder's yard? I have and many times have been told, sorry that batch is reserved for so and so. Shops do this all the time. Why shouldn't someone who sells on the web do the same.
    I dunno, maybe you would prefer to be lied to.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nice honest straightforward answer. Very lacking in todays "the customer is always right" retail society.

cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think the key sentence is:

We only have a very small quantity of the 50 which I prefer to keep for regular UK customers

Which says nothing as to the film being reserved by a previous customer. To me this implies that although the film has not been spoken for, they rather wait until a "regular" customer shows up than sell it to a new one. I am with Jay here, I would never think of doing business with a store that does not feel my money is good enough for them.

Then again, if I owned a store and had inventory on the shelfs I would sell it to whoever wants to buy it....silly me, I thought that was the reason to have a store.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So I guess all those tourists or "outsiders" with funny foreign accents I see at B+H perusing the remaining Agfa products should be put on the back burner for people like me who routinely buy from B+H? Nonsense. If the product is advertised for sale, then he who comes with the money gets it. If the last of the product has been paid for and is waiting to be picked up fine, but otherwise its a good way to go bankrupt once the regulars go digital or get a better bulk discount from someone else.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    So I guess all those tourists or "outsiders" with funny foreign accents I see at B+H perusing the remaining Agfa products should be put on the back burner for people like me who routinely buy from B+H? Nonsense. If the product is advertised for sale, then he who comes with the money gets it. If the last of the product has been paid for and is waiting to be picked up fine, but otherwise its a good way to go bankrupt once the regulars go digital or get a better bulk discount from someone else.
    Am I the only one who is more than a little puzzled by this comparison of retro thotographic to b&h?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderx1
    Am I the only one who is more than a little puzzled by this comparison of retro thotographic to b&h?

No offense but I'm a little puzzled as to why you are puzzled. If I routinely shop at a particular photo store whether it be Retrgraphic, B+H, Calumet or whatever, I am under no impression that the store management should withold products from "outside" or casual buyers so that I can have priority if and when I should decide to buy them. Is there something about Retrographic that makes them different?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just don't get it. You are actually offended by a company being honest. How would you feel if Retro had said, 'Sorry that's out of stock at the moment.' and then later you discover it was in stock but held back for another customer? Presumably that would be ok, because they lied and spared your feelings?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Me no I'm not offended by honesty, that was someone else. I would however be a little put off if I as a film shooter attempted to by film from a film distributor and was told I couldn't buy it because one of their "preferred" customers "might" decide to buy it in the future. Can anyone honestly say this wouldn't bother them if they experienced this in a photo retailer outside their home turf.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    No offense but I'm a little puzzled as to why you are puzzled. If I routinely shop at a particular photo store whether it be Retrgraphic, B+H, Calumet or whatever, I am under no impression that the store management should withold products from "outside" or casual buyers so that I can have priority if and when I should decide to buy them. Is there something about Retrographic that makes them different?
    As far as I can tell, retrophotographic is a small, largely UK centric outfit that doesn't have a RW storefront. Comparing it to huge stores with considerably wider audience (and Calumet has presence in what? 4 countries?) just seems really weird. Their customer base is going to be much different.

If they refused to ship outside the EU or even UK (you are aware that most web stores in US don't ship to anywhere except the US, right?), one couldn't really fault them. If they feel that they need to reserve some percentage of stock for their CORE customers (and the UK customers are going to be their core customers) then really, there isn't anything wrong with that. UK is where most of their sales will be and the UK customers are really the ones who are going to decide if they sink or swim.

For examples of large US comapnies doing much worse than retro photographic, consider amazon and its policies on shipping dvd-s and electronics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW I went to Retrophotographic and checked out the terms and conditions of sale. They do say that for destinations outside the U.K. they need to be contacted prior. In this case I can understand their rationale. I was under the impression they advertised sales and shipping to all destinations and then gave the customer a runaround. I admit my judgement was alittle harsh considering they make no claims of international delivery. Apologies
    Dan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin