Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,921   Online: 863

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Viva GB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want to thank all for the comments. I am with Jay though I have a cabinet shop and was a CB in the Navy. When I go to a wholesale or retail outlet here and I see a bundle of product in stock that isn't to be sold, it will has the last name of the buyer on it.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes but I can understand this in a way. They do appear to be a pretty small outfit and like any small outfit here in the U.S. they may not be equiped or interested in making a large-scale committment to overseas delivery. The reason they don't list overseas shipping charges is because they deal with it on an "as need" basis and by requiring the customer to contact them ahead of time they can determine whether the sale is feasable or worthwhile. To me it isn't shady buisness techniques since they don't promise sales and overseas delivery but say they must be contacted prior to any overseas purchases. If I was a small time buisness and could get by on regional sales I would consider the same policy in all honesty now that I realize the situation. In a way its like people on Ebay who won't ship outside the U.S. or require overseas bidders to contact them prior to bidding. If you can get by without the hassles of overseas sales then it may be the prudent thing to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef

Adox 25 is not listed as 'unavailable'.

Jay
    ...and retro did not say it was unavailable. They said they were keeping it back for regular customers. If they'd said the same to me I'd have accepted it and moved on. I would not have cried my eyes out about it.

Personally I'm getting a bit tired of threads being started purely to slam companies/magazines/people in the film/photographic world, who might have slightly inconvenienced someone. These are not great times for film, we should be sticking together, not whining and wailing like cats in a bag.

Ps. I have lost count of the times I have been told by companies outside Europe, "Yes we have that in stock but we won't ship it to you.' I saw no point starting threads to slam those companies.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    ...and retro did not say it was unavailable. They said they were keeping it back for regular customers. If they'd said the same to me I'd have accepted it and moved on. I would not have cried my eyes out about it.

Personally I'm getting a bit tired of threads being started purely to slam companies/magazines/people in the film/photographic world, who might have slightly inconvenienced someone. These are not great times for film, we should be sticking together, not whining and wailing like cats in a bag.

Ps. I have lost count of the times I have been told by companies outside Europe, "Yes we have that in stock but we won't ship it to you.' I saw no point starting threads to slam those companies.
    Andy, I can't agree with you. It is one thing if seller tells me "Sorry, this product(s) are already reserved for xy (person or company)." That way I know someone was faster than me and reserved products for him/her self. Or regular customers came to shop and said "Please, if this product arrive keep it for me and inform me, I will buy it". I am not angry in that situation. But, if seller tells me "Sorry, we will not sell you this because some of our regular customers MAYBE would want this (but maybe not)", well in that case I am angry, and I don't see any excuse for that.

And if one company has products but say "Yes we have that in stock but we won't ship it to you." in your example, yes it is reason for slaming those companies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    But, if seller tells me "Sorry, we will not sell you this because some of our regular customers MAYBE would want this (but maybe not)", well in that case I am angry, and I don't see any excuse for that.
    So true. If someone runs out of any sort of supplies, he/she should have stocked some more. Relying on a shop to keep some in case he/she drops by is totally wrong.

Either stock more yourself or put an order that will be waiting in the shop for you personally.

Whenever I open a last box of paper/film or bottle of chemistry, next thing I do is go to the shop and buy a next bottle/box for stocking at home.

Honesty of a shop keeper is one thing, but unwillingness to sell to passers-by will kill their business.

Curt has a point here.

I have lost count of the times I have been told by companies outside Europe, "Yes we have that in stock but we won't ship it to you.' I saw no point starting threads to slam those companies.
    Why? I hope you're not a bad payer because that would be a valid reason.

G

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've placed two orders with Retro and they handled them both very well, with a fast and reasonably priced service. Advice was freely given over the phone, even recommending alternatives to me, to help save me money.

I will be ordering from them again. I might even be qualified to purchase some Efke 25......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It should not make any difference as to who the buyer is even out of country and if he/she is willing to pay the shipping cost. The issue that really needs to be address is selling the product to a customer who wants it now and not for some regular customer who may want it six months down the road. It is in the interest of the store to sell the product ASAP so the manufacturer can stay in business; if there is no sale of the product then the manufacturer suffers Should the product be reserved for a buyer then thats a different matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus

Why? I hope you're not a bad payer because that would be a valid reason.

G
    My Ebay ID is Minitar1, go look at my feedback to see if I am a bad payer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Ebay ID is Minitar1, go look at my feedback to see if I am a bad payer.
    Andy,
    I hopy you did see the smiley I put behind that sentence. It's the only known way to me to show that I was joking about the bad-payer allusion.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No worries Argus, I figured you were kidding, but I thought I'd make the Ebay reference all the same just in case others got any silly ideas!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin