Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,249   Online: 1086

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Viva GB

Shooter
    35mm
    Andy, are you saying that you do not mind being inconvenienced for the sake of others..even minorities?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I called a company and asked for a product, and they said to me, "We have some, but what we have we are reserving for our regular customers" I would move on and find what I want somewhere else. I wouldn't go crying my eyes out about it to everyone who would listen. That is the behaviour of spoiled brats who have never been told "No."

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Andy, are you saying that you do not mind being inconvenienced for the sake of others..even minorities?
    I don't know Andy, nor do I know you Claire, so maybe there is more to this question than appears on the surface... but this is the kind of post I'd expect from an Idaho red-neck (Hayden Lake, specifically) rather than a lady (I hope) from WI.

WTF?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some shops won't sell to you if you aren't in the trade. Whatever the trade.

Some won't sell to you if you don't open an account.

Some care about thier loyal customers and try to look after them. They'd rather keep the people who come back then the guy who only shows up when it helps him.

It's a two way street.

Of course I also have the habit of walking out of any shop that doesn't treat me right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Andy, you're free to take offense at Curt's post,
    I have not taken offence. I just think it's a bit silly to get your knickers in a twist because someone said no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last time I was in the US I saw signs in many shops. 'We reserve the right to refuse service...'

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Those native to Great Britain of a certain age will remember a time when it was common for commodities in short supply to be reserved for regular customers, and kept “under the counter”. The last time I can remember this occurring was about 1975 when there was a chronic sugar shortage. The difference then was that if you weren’t recognised by the shop assistance, you were politely told that they had none available. The approach being discuss here seems to be whether this retailer should be castigated for being open and honest; or encouraged to lie in the future. For my part I have always received exemplary service from Retrophotographic, and will be happy to continue using them; because I now know I can trust them implicitly to be open and honest with me.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quite, David. I do wonder whether all this is due to U.S. incredulity that a foreign website doesn't want to sell to customers outside of Europe. Nigel gave a perfectly honest answer to a query. Isn't that enough? Is Ilford wrong not to sell ULF film outside of the U.S. ? How come the local Kodak film-processing franchise wont handle my 10x8 Provia? Irritating perhaps, but who is anyone on here to critisise? If you think you can do better, go ahead & start your own business. I look forward to your proposed service. If you can't - shut it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb
    If you can't - shut it.
    As an ex-pat South Londoner (Merton born, lived in Wandsworth, South Fields, now living in Essex) this cracked me up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My name is Curt Jackson; my grandparents were from England and Ireland. I need a couple of rolls of Adox/Efke 25 for an job I was lucky to get. JandC has no timeline for the availability so I ask retro photographic ltd for some.
    Here is their reply.

Curt,

We only have a very small quantity of the 50 which I prefer to keep for regular UK customers. I am sure that J&C will get some in due course.

retro photographic lated

Andy, nothing you have said has had anything to do with what I posted. You just started in with attacks. What's wrong with you?

Quit trolling this thread and let it go, get over it.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin