Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,423   Online: 791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Polaroid Price Increase

All,
    Now, before I begin, I will state two disclaimers.
    #1 - I am NOT writing this to be rhetorical/state gloom and doom/cause massive panic/etc.
    #2 - This info came from my LOCAL camera store, not a large company, so from large retailers this may not apply.

Onward. According to my local camera establishment the rumors stated here earlier are incorrect, as Polaroid has stated that they will continue production of T-55. However, as of 1 Feb 2006 Polaroid will be increasing prices of their films anywhere between 10-14%. Personally, I feel like the film is over priced to begin with, but that makes it ungodly for me. From the local place anyway, that places a box of 55 at well over $70 ($3.50/sht), and a box of 54 at damn near $60 ($3.00/sht).
    Thankfully, I am not a professional. With my current film (Fomapan 100) being under $33.00/50shts ($0.66/sheet, plus perhaps $0.04/sht in chems) shipped, It will be cheaper for me to bracket each shot than to shoot a 'roid.
    Another disclaimer. I was a physics major in college, not a bossiness student. I do understand that in order to maintain production, one (or both) thing must happen. Either you sell >X items, or sell X items at a greater cost. Its just a shame that the latter option will most likely make demand less.

Regards,

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Those of us who use the products and want to continue to use them, will need to pay the price.

All types of film, paper and chemicals are going to increase in price. It is just the reality of producing less product for fewer people and be able to continue manufacturing.

Do I enjoy paying more for P55, or 59 or even the 809; not really, but i would rather pay more than not have it available at all. Many , myself included are not using polaroid to check exposure, we use it because we like the "look" and feel of this film.

I would also be very happy to pay more for sx-70 time zero film and the price right now is about 1.75 per shot; however, after the current supplies are gone it won't make any difference what i or others would pay. It is not be coated after March.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I definately would pay more to keep 665 in production.
    It is my favorite film of the year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To be honest with you, what has been going on in the film industry in the last couple of years, I am damned surprised to see Polaroid still around, the polaroid process is a specialized process and with them going banko a couple of years ago, I would not have blamed them if they got completely out of the market.

I am just very happy to still get their products.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polaroid is a very expensive light meter.

But it is a very cost effective teaching aid,
    and priceless in the classroom. Or, in a workshop.

Or, in studio photography.

It also is a lovely medium.

The only time it is valuable to pinch pennies and lose time
    is when you have more time than money
    and NOBODY has that.

Whenever you have a chance to buy time, do it.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad for the wardrobe department. Polaroid 600 is a standard film used for reference after an actor/actress is filmed in every scene. They shoot a polaroid diagonally of the subject and punch a hole in the corner. They write the scene number on the bottom and add it to a large "key ring" that holds them onto their belt wherever they go. Can't do that any other way. Maybe this helps to keep Polaroid on their feet.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Polaroid

T55 is a great film-bar none. So are many of the other products that Polaroid produces like T52. At these overinflated prices I would prefer to just use Fuji Acros100 in 120 and sheet fim sizes. You can have it shipped from Japan in sheets for way less than the Polaroid. With Acros you get virtually grainless prints and the best reciprocity in the marketplace.
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot some Acros the other day. Pulled it out of the camera while the models and art director watched. Waited 15 minutes and it never developed.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format

polaroid price increase

......... it is sad about this, they've lost me. Try this; in Australia (Melbourne) the price has been $178 for some months now, up from a five or six year constant price of around $110-120. These prices are for both P/N55 and Type 59. This is approximately US$134. Because of the smaller population here we are being forced into ordering a lot of fine art photo supplies from the U.S. ........... stressing our pockets even further. No reason for writing this except to have a whinge and to let people know what the situation is down here! I'll be in serious trouble when it gets to the point where I'm ordering paper through the mail...... it's so heavy and it will not be cost effective.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wow...And I thought my prices were bad. Wouldn't it be cheaper for you to order from a US distro and pay shipping ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin