Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,582   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: depressing

Shooter
    35mm

depressing

This is the most depressing and discouraging part of this forum. I am 46 years old and has always wanted to learn film based photography, I am now making that dream come true but every time I read this particular part of apug I wonder if I have waited too long to get started and will there be any products to buy in the future. I other words, is analog photography a bad investment. I hope not because digital just isn't art to me, it's just digipics without art. Please reduce the unproven and only post true facts about the industry. Thanks nomadicslacker...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there is plenty to go around for those of us who want it. Welcome, and don't worry: I think you will be enjoying your long-time passion for a long time indeed. Take things with a grain of salt, focus on the positives and have fun!

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if all production of analog cameras and film stopped RIGHT NOW*, the second hand market and the remaining stock of film would provide you with a wonderful hobby for many years to come.

Personally I try to spend more time enjoying the moment, than worrying that things might change in the future. And remember the sooner you start; the longer you will keep going.

-- MW

*which I find extremely unlikely

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am 47 years old and have only just really got into darkroom work since I was a kid in the '70s.
    Frankly I'm as excited as hell with all the good stuff around at the moment.
    Quality MF is a snip.
    Film seems cheaper than ever in real terms. And for B+W there seems so much 'new' stuff around.
    And the same goes for paper. Multigrade, once you get use to it, is wonderful stuff, and RC is good for the more run of the mill print.
    Lots of interesting chemistry too.
    The only thing that I really do miss however is Kodachrome 25 - that was such a nice film....

Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, my suggestion is to fret less, and expose more (film, that is).

I view the doom/gloom posts regarding changes in product availability to be largely due to the momentary moods of those who make such posts, combined with the undisciplined ease with which such posts (rants?) can be made. In other words, that's just the nature of the "forum beast".
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is a fantastic time to buy film cameras. And you can even hedge your bets - many medium format cameras will accept digital backs (though they are expensive). So jump on board. Film will be available for decades to come. There may be fewer choices, but it will be available. Photography didn't kill painting and drawing. And digital won't kill film.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed it won't-though we might go back to a 'garden shed' age with lots of small guys selling direct to us analogists.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with everything that is being said and I also agree with your comments about trying to keep to the facts a little bit better.

There have been some losses that were frustrating, but when I look at the big picture, there are more and more folks coming forward to serve this market as the big players get out. I think we need to recognize that there will be lots more changes, but we are still a pretty big maket of enthusiasts and there will be folks serving us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't fret about all the doom and gloom types here. Four years ago, when I was 30, I bought my first Hassey MF camera instead of a digital camera. Best investment yet. This year I plan to buy a 4x5. I know I will be enjoying it.

Remember, there are painters and stone sculpturers out there who are pretty optimistic about their ancient mediums.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadicslacker
    This is the most depressing and discouraging part of this forum. I am 46 years old and has always wanted to learn film based photography, I am now making that dream come true but every time I read this particular part of apug I wonder if I have waited too long to get started and will there be any products to buy in the future. I other words, is analog photography a bad investment. I hope not because digital just isn't art to me, it's just digipics without art. Please reduce the unproven and only post true facts about the industry. Thanks nomadicslacker...
    This is a great time to get into traditional photography. For one thing, you have this and other great on-line forums to participate in and learn from.
    Also the "D" revolution has made top quality analog photographic equipment available at previously unheard of low prices. You could put together a fine camera kit and complete darkroom for about $300. Film, chemistry and photo paper is still available in great abundance.

Don't permit the uncertainties of the future steal from your enjoyment of today!

Once you learn the controls of a manual (preferably) camera and how to develop and print your own photos you're on your way. You can learn how to use the camera and develop and print in about a day (and then happily spend the rest of your life getting better at it).
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin