Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,477   Online: 1103

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then there are the idiots who drive, phone clamped to their ear, or worse typing text messages as they drive. They should have their licences taken away before they kill someone.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Jorge]... People will carry their personal info, electronic "money", camera, phone, video, internet, etc that will be wired to your house so you can turn on the lights, start dinner and heat the house before you get there. .../QUOTE]

The flying cars! Where are the flying cars we were all promised in the 1960s?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    The flying cars! Where are the flying cars we were all promised in the 1960s?
    I've got a flying motorcycle................ oh, wait, never mind, it just feels like it's flying.... heh, heh, heh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My cellphone makes phone calls. That's all I want a phone to do. It may do other things but I don't care. I don't want to be "connected". Especially to those idiots I see every day saying nothing but talking a lot into their connectivity devices.

My cellphone has an on-off button. The "off" works great. I use it a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is monumentally arrogant to assume that everyone will have the economic wherewithall or inclination to commonly use all the digigear outlined above. (After all, plenty of folks never even learned how to get their VCR's to stop blinking 12:00.) There are still pay phones, typewriters, pens, pencils, bound paper diaries and phone books, legal pads, printed books and newspapers, (if for nowhere else but the beach and bathroom) etc. and, I'm sure there always will be.

I must be a contrarian to think so, but I believe there will be an increasing level of technology fatigue as gizmos come and go at a dizzying pace and price, and people will finally resist to the point that the technoworld's grip will loosen. As we all know, most everything goes in cycles. Massive dependency on technology will not be sustained indefinitely!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Arrogant or not, why dont you go to the mall and look at the next generation and see them walking around with Ipods, cell phones, etc. These are the people who will be making pictures and are comfortable with technology. The price of these items decreases as time goes by. A palm PDA used to be many hundred dollars when they first came out, now you can get a Palm Treo on Ebay for $70 dollars.

It is more arrogant to think everybody likes what you like and cannot afford the gizmos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those of you who savour the thrill of some more angst and horrific views on the world of tomorrow, read up on the world of blobjects, spimes and wranglers:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blobject -and be sure not to miss the links at the bottom of the article. You will understand why Nikon produces consumer goods (i.e. blobjects) instead of 'cameras'. It's perfectly logical.

Shiver me timbers!
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    35mm
    I waded through one of those turgid articles linked at the end. What I read was not vision, just mental masturbation.

When mankind runs out of worthwhile things to do, we begin to invent worthless things?

Nah. I've got plenty of worthwhile things to do: feed the homeless, comfort the sick and elderly, read great novels (more exist than I could read in a lifetime), learn to play more works of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc, etc, garden, make photographs, tinker with machines (real machines), drink wine, make wine, teach children, learn to write poetry, learn to paint, learn to cook, praise God and study his Word, learn to play another instrument (cello would be my first choice), write a novel, make love to my wife, go hiking in places I've never been.......... the list goes on, and on, and on.....

Jonathan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    It is monumentally arrogant to assume that everyone will have the economic wherewithall or inclination to commonly use all the digigear outlined above.
    I believe you are correct. I have a friend who is a commercial photographer in Sydney, who uses a Nikon D100 for his work (he also owns, but doesn't use, a Linhof). He could easily afford a better camera.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's still pay phones? Where? I can never find one of them. That's why I'm paying $50 a month to make two or three calls. (I was never good with economics.)

I did see a recent ad for a new Smith-Corona. Could hardly believe it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin