Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,992   Online: 826
      
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westport, MA.
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,063

    Washington Post article on Nikon leaving the film biz..

    Just came across this;
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011102323.html

    Makes me sick..

  2. #2
    david b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    None of your business
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4,034
    Images
    30
    I sure how the last quote at the bottom of the article is wrong.

  3. #3
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,085
    Images
    44
    "Chute said photography has lost its identity in the digital era and become a subset of the consumer electronics industry."

    That's it! The quote finally puts to words the angst I've felt over this whole thing. This is ground zero for my personal antipathy to digital.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westport, MA.
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,063
    How about the one where Kodak is the digital market leader.. I thought Canon was the market leader?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    I think it is funny. IMO what film and camera makers have not realized is that with the exception of the "professional" photographer, digital cameras are no longer a staple of photography but of communications. Think of this, we now have the Treo, a PDA/Cell phone, these are big enough that it will require little effort to put a 6 MP camera in them. As technology progresses and they find ways to pack more MP in a small package, in 10 to 20 years nobody will be buying cameras, they will be buying all inclusive gadgets that will do everything but shine your shoes. People will carry their personal info, electronic "money", camera, phone, video, internet, etc that will be wired to your house so you can turn on the lights, start dinner and heat the house before you get there.

    If we think about it, with digital the future is full of posibilities that I think does not include P&S, the main stay of these companies.

  6. #6
    david b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    None of your business
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4,034
    Images
    30
    I would really hate to show my "artistic expression" with a Treo-like device.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    970
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    As technology progresses and they find ways to pack more MP in a small package, in 10 to 20 years nobody will be buying cameras, they will be buying all inclusive gadgets that will do everything but shine your shoes. People will carry their personal info, electronic "money", camera, phone, video, internet, etc that will be wired to your house so you can turn on the lights, start dinner and heat the house before you get there.

    If we think about it, with digital the future is full of posibilities that I think does not include P&S, the main stay of these companies.
    As long as they get rid of those awful walkie-talkie phones..I hate them. There was a story recently about people getting robbed playing with these devices, they are so occupied with Ipod and Cell talking that they are not paying attention to their surroundings. Robbers and Pickpockets are having a field day.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I would really hate to show my "artistic expression" with a Treo-like device.
    Last I saw, few people buying point and shoot cameras were worried about artistic expression.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon
    As long as they get rid of those awful walkie-talkie phones..I hate them. There was a story recently about people getting robbed playing with these devices, they are so occupied with Ipod and Cell talking that they are not paying attention to their surroundings. Robbers and Pickpockets are having a field day.
    Not to mention the morons talking on the cell phone walking on the middle of the road......almost bagged me a christian yesterday because of that.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,325
    Nikon used to be a camera company. Now it makes "consumer goods".

    Has anyone else noticed that the only people who are absolutely, positively proclaiming the death of traditional photography are the one's who are determined to kill it?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin