Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,949   Posts: 1,557,881   Online: 899

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    It sounds more and more like I'll need to start stashing away film, not that all of it is going away, but that some of what I like may disappear. How many of you use a deep freezer compared to a refrigerator freezer? Is 10 to 20 below F too cold?
    Hi Wayne,

I do, I bought a new 24 cubic foot freezer a couple of months ago, and it now has about 1000 rolls of NPS, 500 Rolls of Velvia 50 250 Rolls of E100VS and several thousands of rolls of E6 120 and 220 film in it, in additon to several thousands of sheet film that I like to shoot

My freezer is set about 0 degrees

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Hi Wayne,

I do, I bought a new 24 cubic foot freezer a couple of months ago, and it now has about 1000 rolls of NPS, 500 Rolls of Velvia 50 250 Rolls of E100VS and several thousands of rolls of E6 120 and 220 film in it, in additon to several thousands of sheet film that I like to shoot

My freezer is set about 0 degrees

Dave
    What is your address? I'm coming for a visit.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Perhaps, but that Fuji plant was (is) a model of efficiency. Very modern, having been constructed in 1988 as I recall, and designed to get maximum productivity with a minimum amount of labor. I visited it once with a group of faculty from Clemson University and the interior was like three or four football fields in size and no more than 10-15 workers in sight. And labor in South Carolina is not all that expensive. If Fuji can not make a go with making the film at this plant, doubt they can do so in Japan where labor most likely costs more.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sanderx1
    http://www.indexjournal.com/news/20060201a_n.html is a fairly throughout take on this. Really, if sales are going down it makes sense to make it where most of it is made - which would be Japan.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Perhaps, but that Fuji plant was (is) a model of efficiency. Very modern, having been constructed in 1988 as I recall, and designed to get maximum productivity with a minimum amount of labor. I visited it once with a group of faculty from Clemson University and the interior was like three or four football fields in size and no more than 10-15 workers in sight. And labor in South Carolina is not all that expensive. If Fuji can not make a go with making the film at this plant, doubt they can do so in Japan where labor most likely costs more.

Sandy
    Uhh.. come on - go to say B&H and look at their prices of imported vs USA film. At the difference, I seriously don't understand why any 35mm film was made in the US at all...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Uhh.. come on - go to say B&H and look at their prices of imported vs USA film. At the difference, I seriously don't understand why any 35mm film was made in the US at all...
    Different distribution channels.

Sandy is right, South Carolina is one of the lower cost states for labor, mostly non-union.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hell come to Southern Utah if you want cheap labor. Here the city councils are afraid it would ruin the economy if someone paid much above minimum wage. You have the college educated working for what they consider high wages at $8/hr. In and Out Burger was not allowed to build due to they wanted to pay more than what the city council would allow them to pay. Glad the hubby is not tied into the local economy for wages.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "Imported" film might have been made in the USA, packaged abroad, and re-imported. Different distribution channels, indeed.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the film base was made right down the road from me at a company at the olde quonset point navy base.

they didn't supply their japan plants ( i don't think ) ... just south carolina
    i wonder if there are going to be lay-offs here in rhode island as well ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maybe. I am merely suggesting that labor costs in Greenwood, South Carolina are most likely much lower than at the Fuji plants in Japan. But I could be wrong.

The advantages of consolidation of this type are quite a bit beyond my present pay scale.

Sandy

http://www.indexjournal.com/news/20060201a_n.html is a fairly throughout take on this. Really, if sales are going down it makes sense to make it where most of it is made - which would be Japan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Labor in Japan is incredibly cheap compared to the USA, but expensive compared to China and other Asian countries.

That is one reason why Fuji wanted to build in China.

PE

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin