Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,173   Online: 965
      
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5

    Fuji terminates 35mm in Greenwood

    Fuji announced yesterday that because of loss of market to digital it was stopping manufacture 35mm film in its Greenwood, South Carolina plant, and that some 200 people who worked at the plant would be laid off.

    Sandy

  2. #2
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,528
    Images
    65
    Yep, Fuji is in bigger trouble than anyone imagines Sandy. A Fuji manager quoted in today's Rochester D&C states that he had underestimated the drop in film sales in 2005 by quite a bit. Sounds just like I heard from EK management.

    In addition, EK announced that it had overestimated its loss by about 10% - 20% and was reducing the loss in a new statement.

    Agfa auctioned off their entire coating facility in the US, even before it got fully operational.

    PE

  3. #3
    clogz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,837
    Images
    114
    Fuji announced that around 500 employees would be fired in their Dutch factory. Film production will be discontinued.

    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

  4. #4
    Travis Nunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,604
    Images
    32
    Neopan ACROS is out of stock (or down to their last few rolls) of their 120 film at the places I've checked. I hope this is just the result of panic buying. ACROS is my favorite film.
    ____________________________________________
    Searching my way to perplexion

  5. #5
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,528
    Images
    65
    Lets start a rumor that Fuji is going to stop production of B&W products.

    Ahahahahaha.

    Or perhaps that they will no longer sell B&W products in the US.

    PE

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Ron,

    What becomes of all this equipment, coating machines for example, when it is auctioned off? Are there are industrial uses for it or does it just go to scrap.

    Just wondering, for example, what happened to the coating machines Kodak used to coat the Dye Transfer matrix film? Some enterprising sould could easily have adapted them for coating carbon tissue.

    Sandy

    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Yep, Fuji is in bigger trouble than anyone imagines Sandy. A Fuji manager quoted in today's Rochester D&C states that he had underestimated the drop in film sales in 2005 by quite a bit. Sounds just like I heard from EK management.

    In addition, EK announced that it had overestimated its loss by about 10% - 20% and was reducing the loss in a new statement.

    Agfa auctioned off their entire coating facility in the US, even before it got fully operational.

    PE

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Floriduh
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,274
    Images
    2

    Deep Freezer or Refrigerator Freezer

    It sounds more and more like I'll need to start stashing away film, not that all of it is going away, but that some of what I like may disappear. How many of you use a deep freezer compared to a refrigerator freezer? Is 10 to 20 below F too cold?

  8. #8
    roteague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,672
    Images
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn
    Neopan ACROS is out of stock (or down to their last few rolls) of their 120 film at the places I've checked. I hope this is just the result of panic buying. ACROS is my favorite film.
    Since Calumet doesn't have any QuickLoad Acros either, I wonder if it is just a shipping issue from Japan.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

  9. #9
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,528
    Images
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Ron,

    What becomes of all this equipment, coating machines for example, when it is auctioned off? Are there are industrial uses for it or does it just go to scrap.

    Just wondering, for example, what happened to the coating machines Kodak used to coat the Dye Transfer matrix film? Some enterprising sould could easily have adapted them for coating carbon tissue.

    Sandy
    Sandy, making equipment can be used in synthetic organic chemistry or some other chemical operations, and so they go as-is to the best bidder and are used.

    Coating machines are usually so specialized that they are scrapped except for a few items such as pumps and motors.

    Some color equipment can be used, but usually due to chemical contamination the use is rather restricted. For example, colloid mills that could be used in the food industry cannot be used that way after photgraphic use without extensive reconditioning due to the presence of some contaminants. So, gaskets and seals would be replaced.

    The final decision is whether the material is cheaper to recondition, scrap, or part out after the auction price is met.

    PE

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Fuji announced yesterday that because of loss of market to digital it was stopping manufacture 35mm film in its Greenwood, South Carolina plant, and that some 200 people who worked at the plant would be laid off.

    Sandy
    http://www.indexjournal.com/news/20060201a_n.html is a fairly throughout take on this. Really, if sales are going down it makes sense to make it where most of it is made - which would be Japan.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin