Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,295   Online: 881

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbooks
    Went to buy some things today and was told that Kodak was discontinuing the manufacture of their B&W chemicals as of April.

This is the first that I had heard of this. Anyone here know more about it or can refute it?
    God, here we go again!!! I think, if I remember right the last time this came up 3 weeks ago, it covered about 14 pages of posts..

Search feature guys, search feature, works great to see if something has been done before, there have been no announcements by kodak about doing away with their B&W chemicals.....

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu
    True or not, can someone suggest a good substitute for HC110 so I don't have to care what kodak pulls next?
    Ilfords "Ilfotech HC" is almost interchangeable.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist
    John Gardner wrote an interesting book based in the Beowulf saga, "Grendel". Its point, like many others in literature (Gilgamesh, Heart of Darkness, etcetera) is that we have a need to create monsters and bogeymen. Gardner's point is that we indeed are the "monster" ourselves.

The thread reminds me of US being Grendel's mother (the troll hag) after the killing of Grendel, err, Kodak. Why dont we all just discontinue Kodak, and we can put an end to these silly rumours.... :rolleyes:
    John Gardner felt we could approximate the accent as midway between "stage irish" and "movie transylvanian".

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We are indeed our own worst enemies.

In the words of Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us".

This again shows how we can create a self fulfilling prophecy. See how many here are now thinking of "getting out of Kodak chemistry before they pull the plug", and when sales drop Kodak will say "we are pulling the plug because so many are getting out of Kodak chemistry" and then APUGGERs will say "AHA, we told you so. See what Kodak is doing to us".

I've seen it happen.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wouldn't it be nice if a company like Kodak could give more than a short heads up when discontinuing products? It's the lack of information that eventually leads to ill feelings. Kind of like the Bush Cheney administration. Everything done in the dark with no regard to the people who they serve. When a person buys film, chemistry etc. from Kodak aren't we financing their move to digital? A little courtesy from a company who so many have supported would be asking so little.

I am in the process of finding a film developer that I will be making from scratch because Rodinal and HC-110 is on my iffy list. Pyrocat-HD tops the list right now. Not because I don't like Rodinal and HC-110 but because it is like OIL, I'm addicted to them. It's time to explore other alternatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Wouldn't it be nice if a company like Kodak could give more than a short heads up when discontinuing products? It's the lack of information that eventually leads to ill feelings. ....snip....It's time to explore other alternatives.
    You lost me there, Curt. Because Kodak supplies HC-110 as the developer to hospitals and other institutions that are dedicated to it's use ( no digital substitute ! ), for which there is NO alternative developer, and who just mint money for Rochester ?

Would you like them to say every week "we aren't discontinuing the stuff we'll be making this week " ?

Oh, well. You be afraid, it's your choice.

And what is so iffy about Rodinal ? There's plenty out there, and there are new sources coming on line.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't think Kodak is going anywhere, anytime soon either. I just don't understand why their advertising budget for film and chemicals seems to be somewhere around zero.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wasn't a "Doom and Gloom" sub-forum created precisely for this kind of stuff?
    I heard from a friend, he sells sandwiches to an investment banker, that Ilford and some private equity funds are about to launch a LBO on Kodak's digital business... just to shut it down so we can stop hearing this stuff.

Good night and good luck.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    We are indeed our own worst enemies.

In the words of Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us".

This again shows how we can create a self fulfilling prophecy. See how many here are now thinking of "getting out of Kodak chemistry before they pull the plug", and when sales drop Kodak will say "we are pulling the plug because so many are getting out of Kodak chemistry" and then APUGGERs will say "AHA, we told you so. See what Kodak is doing to us".

I've seen it happen.

PE
    I love Pogo! I used to have all of the cartoons in a few anthologies. That aside, I so agree with you PE. I'll continue buying XTOL until they take the wallet out of my cold dead hands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    I love Pogo! I used to have all of the cartoons in a few anthologies. That aside, I so agree with you PE. I'll continue buying XTOL until they take the wallet out of my cold dead hands.
    That cartoon was on the BB in KRL for years in color photography.

I have a small collection of Pogo comic books.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin