Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,282   Online: 934

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Discontinuing B&W Chemicals?

Went to buy some things today and was told that Kodak was discontinuing the manufacture of their B&W chemicals as of April.

This is the first that I had heard of this. Anyone here know more about it or can refute it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    True or not, can someone suggest a good substitute for HC110 so I don't have to care what kodak pulls next?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hurry. Kodak will certainly discontinue it !

Maybe in 30 years....
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbooks
    Went to buy some things today and was told that Kodak was discontinuing the manufacture of their B&W chemicals as of April.

This is the first that I had heard of this. Anyone here know more about it or can refute it?

Who said this? Where was this? Can we see some proof?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu
    True or not, can someone suggest a good substitute for HC110 so I don't have to care what kodak pulls next?
    There is no substitute although Ilford makes something vaguely similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbooks

Every few days or so this rumor or one like it crops up. I guess at some point one of the rumors will be true, but I have yet to hear anything of the sort from a reliable source. I guess now that Ilford is doing selenium toner, I can live without Kodak chemicals personally, but I suspect it is not happening yet.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    my dealer tried to order some hc110 in the 3.5 gallon size and was told that was no longer availble, BUT ONLY IN THAT SIZE. they could order the smaller bottles with no problem.

a few years ago , they stopped supplying brown toner in the gallong sizes and i was worried about the possiblities that it was being discontinued. Can still buy it today, except it comes in a smaller size.

All this makes sense when the larger picture is considered; how many of us use a case of 3.5 gallon size bottles of HC110 a year? We use about 15 bottles, but I don't believe that is common for the general community at this time.

Hopefully, this is what is occuring with your sitituation. If not we will just move on to something else.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    my dealer tried to order some hc110 in the 3.5 gallon size and was told that was no longer availble, BUT ONLY IN THAT SIZE. they could order the smaller bottles with no problem.
    The camera shop drones around here caused a panic amongst institutional users, when they couldn't order the BIG containers of HC-110 they called up all their clients and told them kodak has killed the developer. Oh, and Photo FLo.

A client heard about this and called me. This is what I did: I called Kodak.

In 3 minutes I had the story.

Why do we WANT, so strongly, to believe in in bogeymen that we have to invent them ???? Why are we so convinced that KODAK is evil when the problem is either a lie from the camera shop, or on the internet ?

We choose to believe a lie because we want to feel persecuted by Kodak.

Friends, that ISN'T healthy.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak is going through a "catalog slimming exercise" (their words) whereby a lot of less purchased quantities or line items are elminated or made strictly on a minimum order basis.

So, be sure to call or visit their online catalog before hitting the panic button.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Beowulf Redux

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Why do we WANT, so strongly, to believe in in bogeymen that we have to invent them ???? Why are we so convinced that KODAK is evil when the problem is either a lie from the camera shop, or on the internet ?

John Gardner wrote an interesting book based in the Beowulf saga, "Grendel". Its point, like many others in literature (Gilgamesh, Heart of Darkness, etcetera) is that we have a need to create monsters and bogeymen. Gardner's point is that we indeed are the "monster" ourselves.

The thread reminds me of US being Grendel's mother (the troll hag) after the killing of Grendel, err, Kodak. Why dont we all just discontinue Kodak, and we can put an end to these silly rumours.... :rolleyes:
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin