Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,207   Online: 1052

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Super!

I am really glad to hear Kodak speaking up about their commitment to film; I only hope it drowns out "flavor of the month" Perez.

The people of Kodak deserve better than him...

Oh and BTW; a curious fact is that the Darkroom section of Ebay is one of the most robust sections. Hardly anything leaves that category without selling; that is encouraging.

I know my 4 and 8 year old daughters are hooked! They saw their first picture come up in the soup today; their dog Sally!

"Cool" and "Neat" abounded. Next, oatmeal can pinholes and then their very own SLRs!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    I know my 4 and 8 year old daughters are hooked! They saw their first picture come up in the soup today; their dog Sally!

"Cool" and "Neat" abounded. Next, oatmeal can pinholes and then their very own SLRs!
    This probably deserves another thread entirely, but I'd think an SLR might not be the best choice for children of that age, simply because most SLRs are so big and heavy. A small point-and-shoot camera might be better, or a compact ~1970s rangefinder (like a Canonet) for more control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    This probably deserves another thread entirely, but I'd think an SLR might not be the best choice for children of that age, simply because most SLRs are so big and heavy. A small point-and-shoot camera might be better, or a compact ~1970s rangefinder (like a Canonet) for more control.
    True, I'm probably jumping the gun on introducing them to SLRs. I have a number of types of cameras; maybe a Holga should be next, or a Lomo or something similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 8 year old - I'd try her with my Olympus OM1.

I was able to handle my Brownie Starmatic at that age, as well as my dad's 828 rangefinder. I think an OM1 might work.

It's probably the enthusiasm of the instructor that makes the most difference

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hate to say this - because I think that a film market with many players is better for all of us - but does anyone think that perhaps there was a boardroom meeting at Big Yellow that went a little like this:
    "Uhm, Mr Perez... what is this?"
    To which he naswered:
    "A roll of Kodak film, of course...why?"
    "Do you know where it came from?"
    "Uhm, our factories?"
    "Yes, but more specifically ... A STORE SHELF, you idiot! As long as we make film, and sell film and related products STOP PISSING OFF THE CUSTOMERS..."

Ok, I don't actually think it went quite like that... just having a bit of fun with it But the fact is, someone might be doing a bit of damage control, because for however long Kodak makes film and accessories, it is in their best interest to SELL those products. They may have an all digital vision of the future, but they would be stupid to illustrate that notion on their own skin. No company in their right mind wants to alienate any source of revenue as long as it exists. I assume that someone noticed the overall mood that is best summed up with all the "Support Ilford" signatures and the general distsaste for the attitude that Kodak has towards the partner that brought them to the dance in the first place. And as much as we all like to play arm-chair CEO, there surely are some intelligent people in the Kodak management who noticed this trend.
    Kodak may want out of the film game, but they want to leave on their own terms and at their own good time - and a lot of the press coming out of their boardrooms was doing a great deal of damage to its ability to do so. Hence, my initial assessment of damage control.

Take with grain of salt, and cheers,

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    I hate to say this - because I think that a film market with many players is better for all of us - but does anyone think that perhaps there was a boardroom meeting at Big Yellow that went a little like this:
    "Uhm, Mr Perez... what is this?"
    To which he naswered:
    "A roll of Kodak film, of course...why?"
    "Do you know where it came from?"
    "Uhm, our factories?"
    "Yes, but more specifically ... A STORE SHELF, you idiot! As long as we make film, and sell film and related products STOP PISSING OFF THE CUSTOMERS..."
    LOL
    I'd like to attend the board meeting when that happens :-)

I just layed hands on 2 100 sheet boxes of TRI-X expired in 2000 but kept in the freezer or all those years , almost for free (tried, tested and approved).
    Even when film is dead, we can ressurect it without sci-fi methods, just by taking it out of the freezer

G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    ... 9 out of 10 professionals use digital cameras, but 2/3rds of them still use film for a portion of their work and that one half of US households still use film.

Kodak says that although film will never dominate the market, it will likely never disappear and that it will continue to be a smaller, viable and prfitable business well into the future.
    PE

She has discovered the Gunpowder!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good point, Argus!

I am in no panic. There are things that cause concern - but overall, no panic at all. I have already seen a shift in public opinions with people NOT involved in photography - digital is not going anywhere, but it is certainly not getting any more prestigious. Mark my words, people will start to see film as a status symbol and they will want it for their special pictures - so the pros who ejected all their film gear will probably regret it. But, this is getting a little to soapy, so I will stop here.

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Over the hill

Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    Though I'm over 50, it's nice to know my choices are those of 'the younger people'. Now I wonder what else we have in common??
    Me too John, and probably a large percentage of APUG members are in that category, dos this mean that we will be forced to give up using film because of our decrepitude, and the danger of people of our advanced years messing about with photochemistry in dark rooms, will the Kodak Digital Capture Police send it's agents round to our homes to impound our equipment in the middle of the night, forcing us to replace it with digital ? I hope not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    <EDIT>Here's a link to a copy of the press release in full, which promotes their new formulation of Portra 800, their disposable cameras, reduced static-attraction of Kodak 35mm films and a new packaging system: http://www.photographyblog.com/index...rtra_800_film/

Having now read the whole thing it does seem to be a deafeningly loud fanfare and banging of drums (from Kodak, not PE (for whom I have great respect) - no criticism implied or intended!) compared to the actual substance of the article. That's probably more to do with the PR bods than the corporation though!

Anything traditional-friendly coming out of Kodak these days is extremely welcome, and Hellyar's comments are good to hear. I do, however, have to note that her current job-title is "President, Film and Photofinishing Group"... ...so she's not exactly going to echo Perez's "film is gone" comments, which must have undermined her more than slightly.

To clarify, I'm not doomsaying or Kodak-bashing here, and I do welcome the comments in the press release.

...but I'm not hanging up the bunting yet either.<END EDIT>
    Last edited by FrankB; 02-26-2006 at 08:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin