Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,602   Online: 881

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish you all could have seen the ISO 400 Kodachrome with t-grains. It was truly superb, but the editors at the major photographic magazines were so ho-hum about it that Kodak cancelled the product. The editors seemed to think that Kodachrome was a dinosaur compared to the new E6 films of the time.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    I wish you all could have seen the ISO 400 Kodachrome with t-grains. It was truly superb, but the editors at the major photographic magazines were so ho-hum about it that Kodak cancelled the product. The editors seemed to think that Kodachrome was a dinosaur compared to the new E6 films of the time.

PE
    What year was that Ron?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would go with either Astia 100F or Provia 100F. Try both to see what your preference is.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura
    What year was that Ron?
    Sal;

It was in the mid 80s. That is the best I can do OTOMH.

Kodachrome had begun to die after the E6 introduction, and the last ad was featured in 1990 for the winter Olympics IIRC. It shared the spotlight with E6 films.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron: That indeed is sad. Now I'm sure we're going to start seeing the "secret stash of K400 T-Grain hidden in a mausoleum at Riverside" rumours!

Sal: Yup, I agree totally. I used to rate K25 at 32 and K64 at 80 (still do) when I wanted that extra edge of saturation, or at least the appearance of saturation.

I'm hoping Kodachrome lives on forever.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar
    I'm hoping Kodachrome lives on forever.
    I'm hoping for a million dollars but we can't always get what we want.

Sorry for being facetious there, but as much as I like Kodachrome's look, it's the processing and price that will kill it. For the extra $4 I have to pay for processing over E-6, coupled with the extra couple dollars for Kodachrome makes it just not worth it.

My main chrome has been Elite Chrome 100 which looks nothing like Kodachrome but I do like the pallette. I will definately have to try Asita 100F and maybe some Velvia 100F this summer since I would like to do some people shots outdoors later.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by battra92
    My main chrome has been Elite Chrome 100 which looks nothing like Kodachrome but I do like the pallette. I will definately have to try Asita 100F and maybe some Velvia 100F this summer since I would like to do some people shots outdoors later.
    I wouldn't use the 100F Velvia, you are better of with the 100 Velvia.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not sorry to say, I would not use any Velvia derivitive to shoot people, the color biases are to far saturated to render peoples flesh tones correctly...I often use Astia or Provia, but Velvia is to saturated..

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I am not sorry to say, I would not use any Velvia derivitive to shoot people, the color biases are to far saturated to render peoples fleash tones correctly...

Dave
    Agreed, I wouldn't shoot it either, however, Velvia 100 isn't too bad with people from what I have read.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I am not sorry to say, I would not use any Velvia derivitive to shoot people, the color biases are to far saturated to render peoples flesh tones correctly...I often use Astia or Provia, but Velvia is to saturated..

Dave
    Oops, I meant Provia. Error between keyboard and seat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin