Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,637   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ilford Postcard Stock - An Apology..Eating Humble Pie

All,
    An apology is certainly in order. It seems I created a stink and spread mis-information. After an hour at my local shop, they did infact discover that there will be boxes of 100sht also available (Thanks to J&C for the heads up...).
    What had happened is this: They placed their usual Ilford order, and in doing so, asked about the card paper for me. They were told - correctly - that there are only 500sht boxes available (in stock currently). AT THE MOMENT. However, the individual at the camera shop took this as that is all that WILL be available, and relayed the message to me.
    I did not intend to give the wrong information.

Shooter
    35mm
    It seems to me that Steve's experience with his shop has not been unique.
    I have had personal experiences, and have read many anecdotes on APUG where shop people will state that such and such a product is no longer available, or only available in such and such a quantity.

Usually a simple internet search will yield the truth, but in the meantime I believe damage is done to the manufactures of traditional photographic products. At the shop I frequent there is no shortage of incredibly ignorant and inane commentary on film products and chemistry.

I am no guru, but I find myself increasingly needing to explain fundamental photographic processes to the help at my local shop. A few years ago, I was the one asking questions and usually receiving answers about more advanced topics.

I like to support my local shop, but the lack of product knowledge concerning availability, use, and other properties, has been sending me to the net for many purchases.

These are just my own observances in my little corner of the world.

Thanks to Steve for setting the record strait on this issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shopping at Samy's camera in LA two years ago, I asked some guy at the counter if they had Rodinal. I was the martian, he didn't know anything about it.
    Depressing !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Humble pie is my main meal and confusion is my dessert...several times a day it seems! No need to apologize.
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Georgia]Jim Anderson[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Medium Format

Postcard Thank You From ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Dear All,

Just to let you all know that you Apuggers delivered your promise.....I agreed to make postcard paper again, we have just sold out of the special make, so its now all around the World, enjoy....and as you probably know most of you have sent me a postcard ! I really appreciate it, THANK YOU it shows customer power !!!

Todays are from Peter ( USA ) Lee ( UK ) and BW Girl ( USA ) also Randy in the USA who has creatively made his own postcard, by cutting up a 10x8 and writing on it Postcard...well it works and it got to me..

Simons print of choice today has to be BW Girl's a superb shot of a trumpet with flower, it reminded me of when I was training and assisting the head photographer ( a guy called Dave Gray - lond dead I am afraid ) in the company I worked at who shot a series of similar shots of brass instruments with prawns, lobsters and crabs...sounds wierd but boy were they fantastic images.

Peter's image was interesting and very well printed as well...

So the good news is we will obviously keep Postcard paper gloss and pearl in the range and make it as required, I will also sort out a postcard competition with APUG, for APUG members and post the details after the APUG conference;

Thanks again

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Simon,

Are you going to be in Toronto?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

hooked

Simon-thanks for the compliment. I now have a new "habit" ; like I really needed one!!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon, that's wonderful news. Do you know when the next batch will be manuifactured?

I ask this as the Australian distributor of your product appears to be quite emphatic that there is not enough demand for this niche product, in a niche market in this country.

I realise that this country missed out due to extenuating circumstances, but having to buy postcard stock from Germany isn't that cheap, although it's cheaper than getting it from the UK, which is an interesting observation. Although I did buy 1,000 sheets, to get a good price!

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will be in Toronto for the APUG conference ( every day )

Simon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    We will probably make again within 6 weeks or so

Simon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin