Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,874   Online: 1084

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Heads up on Freestlye...some good news!

Please take a minute to read the following, it really is good news.

I live in the Los Angeles area. When I need supplies, I get to go to Freestyle in person to pick them up. As a "local" I have the opportunity to see first hand the sincere dedication this company has toward securing the future of our beloved photographic supplies. Thus, I want to share my observations with the rest of the APUG community, give a "heads-up" to those that can't get there in person.

The last bunch of times I've been in, I've run into Eric Joseph, VP of Merchandising and Product Development. This is a busy man! Yet, he always finds time to have an unhurried, caring conversation about the current and future state of our lifeblood, traditional photography! I want to let you know how obviously passionate and devoted he is to making sure that after all of the dust of this earthquake-like digital transformation settles, traditional photography is still standing strong!

In our capitalistic society, it's easy to get caught up in the race for the buck. To get so focused on making money that you forget all else. One becomes cynical believing others are only out for our money. On the other hand, that's not always the case. It is refreshing to see those who are so passionate about what they love that money becomes secondary. And ain't if funny that in doing what you love whole heartedly, money seems to follow? I think of Freestyle like I do Ilford. A small yet powerful company made up of people that believe photography comes first.

As consumers we've become kinda spoiled. We want something and we want it now, never thinking about what it takes to get the stuff to the shelves. It was eye opening to listen to Eric as he described what he and the companies that supply the goods have to do in these uncertain times to make sure we do have our products. These are real people doing some pretty amazing things. Committed and driven by passion I'm convinced. We ought to be thankful. The message I get from Eric is he is dedicated to taking a proactive stance. He wants to make a difference... this you can just tell! And he's doing so not by talking about it or wishful thinking, but by taking action. In fact, he's leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks to go meet in person numerous people from a bunch of the remaining companies over in Europe. He will put his head together with other passionate devoted people in an effort to make a difference, to secure the future of traditional photography. In these uncertain times someone has to make an attempt to pick up the pieces so that a picture of the future is at least partially visible. I believe people like Eric and Freestyle are stepping up to the plate to do this. This is good for us! Our part in all of this is the fun part. All we have to do is get out and shoot as much film as we possibly can. Maybe the next time you need some supplies you might show a little support for Freestyle. Let them know we're in sync and their efforts are warranted. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Long Live Silver!

Happy shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, they really are dedicated to serving the film-shooting community. I, too, drop in on them when I need supplies. I especially have enjoyed my interactions with the tall female salesperson... the one with the sort of husky voice and the EXTREMELY dry sense of humor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are going to begin selling efke films soon so maybe more people will discover it and the increase in demand could lead to year round availability.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wildbill, incase you're interested, they have EFKE now!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=bobbysandstrom]Wildbill, incase you're interested, they have EFKE now![/QUOTE

I just looked it up but no efke 25 in 120 or 4x5 just like jandc. They've also got Fotokemika paper in stock up to 20x24 inches. Anyone tried that stuff?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I am also curious about the paper and wonder if my safelight will work. I have one that is amber not red. Also if it is old style it would have lovely blacks I would assume.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They said that they're willing to take a check or money order from me since I don't have my credit card yet...I'm relieved about that because I really want to use the Arista EDU Ultra 100 and 200 films. I have a feeling that I'll get great service when I place my order.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Freestyle is without a doubt my new favorite place to order. The problem is for me that I don't buy everything there as some items are still cheaper at B&H or Adorama.

However, after seeing Efke 25 added in 35mm format and at a much more reasonable price than J&C, well I'll just have to order some. Now the question is should I wait for Agfa rodinal or give Fomadon R09 a shot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I order from Freestyle several times a year. Usually it's their Arista film or paper. I have always been pleased with their service and prices.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin