Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,363   Online: 814

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Paterson chemistry dicontinued? Is this true?

Hi,

I am not Paterson chemistry user, but for those of you who are, I read on Leica forum that Paterson chemistry is discontinued. Of course I am not shure this is true, so as one saying in my country said, I am selling it for fhat I payed (I mean news). So, maybe something for you to check...

If this is not true, my apologize and better than oposite...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Looks like it. It was reported in this weeks Amateur Photographer. See this thread for a bit more info. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/26446-jessops-econotol-film-developer.html

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Check this link:

http://boardserver.superstats.com/re...ogerandfrances

especially Roger Hicks' comments.

Geoff

Shooter
    35mm
    Roger Hicks, a man in the know as far as Paterson matters are concerned, confirms on his site that both Paterson and Fotospeed colour chemistry is to go. Does anyone know when in either case? I have just started using Paterson RA4 chemistry and have found it as good as tetenal and a lot cheaper. Easy to mix and comes in small bottles so is less likely to deteriorate. A real pity.

So in the U.K. what will we be left with in terms of C41 and RA4 chems? Lately photographic life seems to consist of a succession of "stock up while you can" warnings.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    dang! their selenium toner was top notch!
    so were their papers....
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep, I emailed them and they comfirmed it. Bother!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tell Kentmere to negotiate manufacturing rights!

I NEVER thought I'd have more trouble getting color chemistry that B&W!

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    Tell Kentmere to negotiate manufacturing rights!

I NEVER thought I'd have more trouble getting color chemistry that B&W!
    Paterson? Who are they?

Colour chemistry is always more trouble than B&W. One can develop B&W film in urine. With a few standard, easy to source "household" products (Vitamin-C, Borax, Soda, Baking Soda, Lye) and some Metol (which has, properly stored, a shelf-life measured in multiple decades) one can "brew" not only different kinds of film and paper developers but ones that rivals any "state of the art" commercial product. You don't even need a lab scale.

Colour chemistry, however, is and remains easy to source as there are still mini-labs and still professional shops doing digital printing--- recall that digital printers typically use a variation of the RA-4 process. This is, of course, all 35C or even 40C rapid access chemistries and not (inferior) room temperature affairs but its easy to convert them to use--- if you really must--- at room temperature. C-41 is still quite in demand. C-41 and RA-4 minilab chemistries have wonderfull shelf lives (multipart) and are priced at a small fraction of the little hobby kits.

Paterson, I'd suggest, NEVER made colour chemistry. In the current market there is less room for boutique margins. They just purchased the commercial stuff for mini-labs and repackaged it.

Chemisty is still being made.. Even Agfa might have closed but... A&O have taken over the production of the chemistry (which is profitable).
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edz
    Paterson? Who are they?

Colour chemistry is always more trouble than B&W. One can develop B&W film in urine.
    Err .... I'll take your word for it but I'll hace to pass on that one
    ...... 35C or even 40C rapid access chemistries and not (inferior) room temperature affairs but its easy to convert them to use--- if you really must--- at room temperature. C-41 is still quite in demand. C-41 and RA-4 minilab chemistries have wonderfull shelf lives (multipart) and are priced at a small fraction of the little hobby kits.
    But for a hobbyist (there are a lot of us about) a 500ml bottle of room temp developer is ideal snce it makes processing the occasional colour print financially practical since there is no need to buy bulk chemicals which will go off or invest in a Jobo or Nova tempered processor

Paterson, I'd suggest, NEVER made colour chemistry. In the current market there is less room for boutique margins. They just purchased the commercial stuff for mini-labs and repackaged it.
    But they did meet a market need. Unfortunately that market is now too small to be viable for them, I don't blame them for the decision.

Having just discovered the joy of producing colour prints with Paterson RA-4 at room temperature I am more than a little disenchanted with this news, anyone recommend suitable alternative room temp chemicals available in the UK ?

CJB

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Photo Engineer said many times that the regular RA-4 chemicals work just fine at room temperature.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin