Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,358   Online: 722

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

AgfaPhoto: Phoenix from the ashes?

Saw this posted over on the Rangefinder Forum.

http://www.photoscala.com/node/view/1271

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hmmm... may have to start testing APX-100 after all. Great news.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "establishments worldwide and operates in the sectors textiles and textile fibres, mechanical engineering, chemicals...."

sounds like someone who works in the right kind of bussines. Most other film manufacturers make electronics and film. This one might approach film from the right angle: film has nothing to do with electronics and digital cameras, it belongs inthe chemical industry.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Saw this posted over on the Rangefinder Forum.

http://www.photoscala.com/node/view/1271
    No APX from the ashes. They purchased the stuff to make film base materials. Even among the "film application" its a growing market--- the demand for motion picture postive stocks is strong and rising.

Film production is another can of worms and beyond all the scale problems the most significant asset--- the "Agfa" tradename--- is still tried up by AgfaPhoto Holding controlled by the Nanno holding company led by Hartmut Emans. Agfa and AgfaPhoto Holding are in ligitation over the rights. As long as one can't use the name "Agfa" on film there is no chance that anyone will touch that part of the business....
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I second that. Hyosung was a polyester textile maker and then film maker (and some other engineering plastics). Once they had been one of the biggest VTR tape base film suppliers in the world.

Maybe they are just interested in the production equipments for their film extrusion, coverting and coating. Agfa should have advanced coating technology and equipment that is very useful to Hyosung's film business which now is quite hot for the LCD industry.

I wish I'm wrong and APX would revive. But to my knowledge this company had produced mainly industrial products and is not competent is photographic materials.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest everyone wait and see, and not jump to either positive or negative conclusions. Like other forums, APUG operates on internet time, business change has another timebase.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edz
    . . . . . . . AgfaPhoto Holding controlled by the Nanno holding company led by Hartmut Emans. Agfa and AgfaPhoto Holding are in ligitation over the rights. As long as one can't use the name "Agfa" on film there is no chance that anyone will touch that part of the business....
    Good afternoon edz,

It certainly seems like Herr Emans could be the leading cause of failure at AGFAPhoto. Everything I have read in the German press about him implies that his greed has caused the bulk of problems in failed negotiations. Personally, I hope he loses lots of money when this finally gets resolved.

I have heard of discussions to release a version of film much like APX100, though unfortunately not with that name. It could happen, but it will need to be on popular opinion of any newly introduced film retaining the same characteristics of APX100. There would not be any legal method for suggesting a new film was the previous APX100, nor would any name usage be able to stand without some possible litigation.

Those of us who have used a good deal of APX100 in the past could probably tell if a new emulsion was nearly the same in performance. Unfortunately, I don't know that collective voices would be enough to ensure success of a new B/W film. Seems there is more interest in reviving the one-time-use cameras business that AGFAPhoto used to have, mostly with disposable cameras without the AGFA name nor logo on them.

Ciao!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, I have Rollei Retro films. Nice package and price.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

This is about the manufacture and extrusion of the film base, not the coating of film emulsions onto it, but indeed this is good news. The actual coating machine in Leuverkusen has not been sold as far as I am aware.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited:

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    There are two machines afaik, one for paper coating, and one for film coating.

It is unfortunate that there is not going to be any color film and paper production in Europe in the future. There is some choice for b/w materials, which is great, but with Fuji closing down production of photographic materials in Tilburg, it appears there is nothing left in Europe, unless Kodak still has a factory somewhere (France?)

Once the color materials production is closed down, it will be gone forever. When the skilled personnel is gone, the machines scrapped, the knowledge forgotten, and suppliers of raw materials out of business, production will never be restarted, because coating color films and papers is so complicated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin