Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,532   Online: 816

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    The 18% Status M red aim density (0.80 for 800Z and 0.85 for Portra 800) is achieved at a lower exposure for the Portra 800 than for 800Z. There isn't as big a difference in this value as there is for the toe speed, but it is still there: ie it takes less exposure to achieve the manufacturer's recommended density for a midtone with Portra 800 than it does for 800Z. I believe that Kodak are justified in claiming that Portra 800 is the fastest pro film with '800' written on the box, and that is one of the reasons why I use more Portra 800 than 800Z.
    Interesting, if somewhat overwhelming.

Two questions: Where do you suggest I set my exposure meter (to start - I'll establish my own E.I. - as usual); and am I correct in assuming that you would like to see another method for determining "Box Speed"?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

This just in from edz:

Big + new = good.

Small + old = bad.

I am now off to sell my small, old pisspot in order to buy a new, big piss pot. I think they are on sale at Walmart.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

New Kodak Max 800

Sorry for reviaval, but there is also apparently a new Kodak Max 800.

They say somwhere there "much finer grain" so these new film do have that 2 electron thing.

Link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, they do.

From this point on, both Fuji and Kodak will have only relatively minor improvements to incorporate into film, as silver gelatin is such a mature science. Discoveries are rather hard to come by.

Fuji's Tellurium sensitization is now in product.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know how I made that asumption there, maybe I meant that as a retorical question, and I forgot the question mark, as I would have thought that kodak would out right say that is has the 2 eletron thing!

Anyway I think I would be right in asuming that we have the continued popularity of movie film to thank for any new developments in film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format

I wish Kodak would.....

Re-introduce Ektar 25 and bring back Super XX

(Every film photographer should get the chance to at least try these two
    long lost treasures from Big Yellow)!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just took a peek at the B&H site and it seems that they're promoting the newer version of the Portra 800 now. If someone has a chance to do some hands-on with this, we'd appreciate your reactions. I had avoided higher speed medium format color films for too long and have had great results when using NPZ. It had surprisingly smooth and accurate skin tones and it opens up backgrounds nicely in dimly lit bigger rooms and churches, etc.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    Re-introduce Ektar 25 and bring back Super XX

(Every film photographer should get the chance to at least try these two
    long lost treasures from Big Yellow)!
    I have stated this before.

Ektar 25 had a 90% reject rate in production. It was a loss leader. It also kept poorly. The solutions to the problems were achieved and given a new product name and a higher speed with similar characteristics because no-one wanted a 25 speed color film. The Ektar 25 sold poorly. People kept asking for more speed.

So, the 100 speed film that replaced Ektar was better technically for the user, and from a production standpoint, but some people 'thought' that Ektar 25 was better. It really was not as good as you think.

Super XX was good, but involved production methods and chemicals that are obsolete or restricted by the EPA, and so it had to vanish. I can duplicate my Super XX work with todays films with better sharpness and grain. A modern film was built to match the Super XX as closely as possible.

If you had Ektar 25 today and shot duplicate scenes with Portra 100VC and Ektar 25, you would be very happy with the VC, I'm sure.

But, you can never satisfy everyone. And, memories are a powerful thing, espically without side by side comparisons.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Photo Engineer! I trust what you have to say about film. I'm feeling better already...
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    I have stated this before.

Ektar 25 had a 90% reject rate in production. It was a loss leader. It also kept poorly. The solutions to the problems were achieved and given a new product name and a higher speed with similar characteristics because no-one wanted a 25 speed color film. The Ektar 25 sold poorly. People kept asking for more speed.

So, the 100 speed film that replaced Ektar was better technically for the user, and from a production standpoint, but some people 'thought' that Ektar 25 was better. It really was not as good as you think.

Super XX was good, but involved production methods and chemicals that are obsolete or restricted by the EPA, and so it had to vanish. I can duplicate my Super XX work with todays films with better sharpness and grain. A modern film was built to match the Super XX as closely as possible.

If you had Ektar 25 today and shot duplicate scenes with Portra 100VC and Ektar 25, you would be very happy with the VC, I'm sure.

But, you can never satisfy everyone. And, memories are a powerful thing, espically without side by side comparisons.

PE
    Thanks Ron, for your thorough explination.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin