Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,847   Online: 1078

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

100mm glass filters

I had been using high quality 100mm resin filters for the Hasselblad Proshade 6093 but I'm now looking for something optically better.

Do B+W, Heliopan or anyone who uses Schott glass make 100 x 100mm filters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm fairly sure B&W has 4x4 in glass. But I wouldn't count on them being better. They'll last longer but better?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Schneider certainly supply 100 x 100 glass filters both as Schneider filters and as B+W filters. I have a few Schneider ones. Some are available with Schneider AR or B+W MRC coating. Formatt and Heliopan also supply 4x4 filters made from Schott glass. Tiffen and Harrison & Harrison also make glass filters, but I don't know what glass they use. Harrison & Harrison supply pairs of 2 mm optical flats for use with gelatin filters, by the way.

If you have problems getting these I was going to suggest Optex (020 8441 2199) but they might be in receivership. Maybe ICE? Formatt supply direct to UK customers, I think. I'm a bit out of touch with UK sources. I can tell you where to get them in New York...

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ahh format filters! I was using their Hitech resin range, but they're broken and scratched now. I didn't realise they did Schott filters, only in a small size though.

There's something not right about putting plastic filters in front of Zeiss optics.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've fairly recently invested in Heliopan 100x100mm filters - and I think the key word is invested! They don't come cheap which is the only drawback apart from being breakable. That being said, I'm delighted with them and I wouldn't trade them for anything else.
    The website has a pricelist PDF which is probably still current (2006 stock at 2004 prices and includes vat).

However, it isn't only the glass which is expensive but the filter holder and any step up/down rings if they aren't already compatible with your current system. Here's a rough calculation, all prices are per piece (100x100mm) and it would surprise me if the competitors weren't about the same:
    Professional filter holder 200eur
    Filters price group 1a 144eur
    Filters price group 2 170eur
    Filters price group 3 200eur
    Linear polariser 245eur
    step up/down rings 45eur

That's mighty expensive glass and as far as being able to see any visible difference - I very much doubt if anyone (now there's a challenge) could tell the difference between images with resin Vs glass filters.
    For me, it was both a bit of luck and long term convenience. I picked up the holder and deep red filter for 40eur and it's now pretty much compatible with all of my LF and MF lenses. Previous to the lucky find, I was looking into the Lee system and I'm sure that I would have been just as delighted with that.

To be honest, I think it would probably be far better to put your "hard earned" cash elsewhere unless you've got a tree growing out back...
    And as a final word, let's face it - when your photography comes down to the decision between glass or resin filters it's a luxury problem.

Goodluck with your decision - I'm sure it will be right no matter what

Shooter
    Medium Format
    'glass' filters are just a plastic film sandwiched between two peices of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday

There's something not right about putting plastic filters in front of Zeiss optics.
    art is about managing compromise

Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    'glass' filters are just a plastic film sandwiched between two peices of glass.
    Tiffen filters are laminated. Heliopan and most B+W are not. Heliopan states that all of their glass filters are "dyed in the mass" Schott glass: http://www.heliopan.com/helio1.htm (they use use plastic for soft-focus filters). Most B+W filters are also from Schott glass (again excepting special types such as soft focus). I think almost all also take their color from the glass, the exception seems to be the Color Correction filters: http://www.schneideroptics.com/filte...or_correction/. Of course polarizing filters of all manufacturers are laminated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Schneider/B+W filters that are laminated are gelatin between two sheets of glass. Gelatin filters have very good optical characteristics when new. However, as Michael writes, most of them are dyed-in-the-mass glass, and only the CC filters are glass/gelatin laminates. If you have unmounted glass filters it is easy to see that they are not laminated.

As far as prices go, Tiffen are generally cheaper than Heliopan, while Schneider and Formatt are similar or more expensive.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Singh-Ray is another source of top-notch glass filters. They do specialty filters primarily for color applications. They are also expensive.

http://www.singh-ray.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Hi-tech filters didn't last long enough for my liking and they were so light that a gust of wind would send them flying out of the holder.

I'm hunting feeBay for used bay 93 and 60 filters.

I'm not sure if you can use a bay 093 filter on the Hassy 40mm with the proshade without vignetting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin