Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,055   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Anytime demand decreases, prices rise.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

and now KOdak

Kodak Hikes Prices for Plates, Film

By E&P Staff

Published: April 17, 2006 12:15 PM ET

NEW YORK Kodak's Graphic Communications Group announced today a double-digit worldwide price increase for prepress consumables.

The company attributed the increase to several years of "consistently rising energy and raw material costs." Price hikes affect digital and conventional offset printing plates, proofing media, film and chemistry.

Customers are being informed of pricing details on a country-by-country basis
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ilford USA (which is distributer for British & Swiss Ilfords here in N.A.) says all film, paper and chemistry is to rise 6% Some of the roll films are increasing more, but it is hit & miss. Increase is effective for North America May 1, 2006

I'm happy they're still in business :-)

Corey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can deal with that, as opposed to the alternative...

I think the drop in prices on used camera and darkroom equipment more than offsets this rise, don't you?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's great. Look how much gas has gone up....I still drive. If they make it I will buy as much as I can afford to support my craft.

Shooter
    35mm
    If international shipment is not a problem for you, find a distributor/shop that sell at the lowest price and buy products there. That's what I'm about to do. I like to buy consumable items as locally as possible, but when I can't I have to look for other places.

It seems like even with the shipping fee, you could still pay far less than what you normally do for what you want to get.

In Japan, the prices are almost double for Ilford no matter what. This is primarily due to the price-setting of Japan's Ilford distributor Chugai. And the volume of each product is usually small: For Ilford MG FB paper, it's either 10 or 25 sheet packages.

There's no way I can keep buying the stuff in the domestic market. It's just costly but nothing to gain.

In the mean time, I've found the new Oriental VC FB paper to be useful as an alternative. Price-wise, it's in the same league as Ilford, and I kind of like the quality of the Oriental paper better for some reason. This may not work for all the images I have, but for some, it seems like it does.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am still waiting for Simon's official Ilford take.

If the price increase is too much I will be forced to order from Fotoimpex in Germany which is something I would like to avoid because I want to support my local distributor. He is a very nice guy, he has helped me a lot and is the only one that carries film, paper and chemicals around here. Plus I like going in and buying the stuff instead of ordering big bunches from abroad. I am quite poor and have no much of choice when it comes to price. I spend almost all my paycheck on photo stuff and often to the expense of food (don't go out much lately) so it will hurt me to have to look for a cheaper source of materials but I won't have any other choice.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    I spend almost all my paycheck on photo stuff and often to the expense of food (don't go out much lately) so it will hurt me to have to look for a cheaper source of materials but I won't have any other choice.
    Lately I've been drinking a 5 dollar bottle of imported Chilean wine, which is actually pretty good, instead of 10 dollar bottle of French or Italian one!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    Lately I've been drinking a 5 dollar bottle of imported Chilean wine, which is actually pretty good, instead of 10 dollar bottle of French or Italian one!
    The Carmen Merlot isn't that bad.
    I am mostly a Iberic peninsulla wine man, rioja, jerez and porto are my favorites, which are not available here at all even if I could afford them.
    Today I went for coffee with a friend after many months, just because he
    lives in Athens and I don't see him often. The espresso I got cost me 2.30 euros. And I get payed about 700 euros a month.
    Oh, well.
    Atleast I am well stocked on film and have some paper at the moment.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    The Carmen Merlot isn't that bad.
    I am mostly a Iberic peninsulla wine man, rioja, jerez and porto are my favorites, which are not available here at all even if I could afford them.
    Today I went for coffee with a friend after many months, just because he
    lives in Athens and I don't see him often. The espresso I got cost me 2.30 euros. And I get payed about 700 euros a month.
    Oh, well.
    Atleast I am well stocked on film and have some paper at the moment.
    Yeah, having to choose between the beverages or the photo supplies is hard for me, too.

I think I've blown off a couple of dates recently. :o What happens is that I meet someone in public, talk about photography, and have a blast with that conversation. But the next thing I know is that I'm back in my darkroom with a fresh package of photo paper and chemicals, and that's about it.

Well, that's life, too, I guess.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin