Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,742   Posts: 1,515,590   Online: 930

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    Yeah, having to choose between the beverages or the photo supplies is hard for me, too.
    Have you considered home brewing/distilling? It's far easier than coating your own film stock.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When it goes wrong you call it stop bath

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    The espresso I got cost me 2.30 euros. And I get payed about 700 euros a month.
    Oh, well.
    Atleast I am well stocked on film and have some paper at the moment.
    I have sallary of 400EURO per month and 150EURO as war veteran/invalid. But, espresso here costs 0,5 EURO and up to 1,5 EURO in snobish posh places. When see your sallary/prices ratio Arigram, I can only hope my country won't get soon into EU...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    I have sallary of 400EURO per month and 150EURO as war veteran/invalid. But, espresso here costs 0,5 EURO and up to 1,5 EURO in snobish posh places. When see your sallary/prices ratio Arigram, I can only hope my country won't get soon into EU...
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

(btw, the coffee costs 2.50, it was a misprint. It can rise up to 3.50 in some parts)
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format

Reply From ILFORD Photo / Price Increases

Dear All,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been out the office for a few days:

Well firstly lets knock the 'nearly double' price increases on the head, the average increases worldwide across the full product ranges are between
    5.00% and 6.00%.

Within the product ranges we have had some higher percentage increases on certain products to reflect the actual ( higher ) cost of manufacture of those items, the alternative I need not tell you is to no longer manufacture those products, that would be against our strategy of supplying the widest range of monochrome products in the World ( and to introduce new ones ). The current SKU's are a little over 3,000 items.

Within our pricing review certain products have had no increase or a small increase and a dozen or so products have been decreased in price.

You will see therefore prices will change, for instance smaller pack sizes ( like 10's or 25's ) will go up by more than 50 sheet or 100 sheet boxes, why.... because they cost more to make, simple as that. Sheet film has been mentioned, that is very much a raw material and wastage issue, I am sure you can imagine quality for us is everything, sheet film has a higher % wastage than 120 or 35mm, we have always taken waste as a broadly flat calculation, now with more sophisticated costing we must apply specific wastage calculation by product, hence a bigger increase for sheet film.

Why the increase ? : Much of it is raw materials, with the massive reduction Worlwide in silver based manufacture of film and paper, the individual components ( we have well over 300 suppliers ) are being increased in price
    to reflect the lower volumes sold. Also, in the past we could buy raw materials in fairly small volumes as befits our size, now as one of the last full range suppliers many of our suppliers we have minimum orders that we have to purchase, only last week we had to buy a specific chemical required in paper manufacture and the minimum order equated to 2.5 years manufacturing requirement, we have to have it, so we now have to hold and pay for that stock.

I have not yet mentioned Silver ( now at a 29 year high ) this is of great concern, and since the biggest user was Photo, and now that demand has crashed why are the prices rising day by day ? ...well they are, its a fact and we buy it by the tonne, literally. The estimate we had for the silver price ( in our increases ) when we did our pricing review ( December 05 ) were much lower, so we are obviuously concerned as to the effect.

Finally our factory is powered by gas, and we use a lot, especially during coating, our gas bill has gone up a bit... EIGHTY SIX PERCENT, yes thats not a typo 86% was the increase Q4 2005 to Q1 2006, now we do expect that to reduce as we come to the warmer quarters, but cheap gas in Europe is a thing of the past, cold winter, higher demand, higher prices are affecting everyone....

Someone in the thread mentioned mentioned the price of gasoline, its one of our costs as well, and we know US gas prices are increasing but you have quite a way to go before you pay the same as us, as of today our gasoline price is $ 6.39 per US Gallon.

Yes we do have some price issues, someone mentioned multigrade filters, well you will see how we will be creative, to overcome that particular issue in the next few months.

Finally, we have completed our first years trading, we are profitable, and we will take whatever actions required to continue to be so, but as of today we have no plans* for any further increases before May 2007.

The only factor that can change that is external ( raw materials )

Thank you for purchasing ILFORD Photo products:

Simon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the straightforward explanation. I for one appreciate it and will continue to support Ilford, as will many here.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats life.

I will make more effort to create better pictures first time round, so not to have that much waste and make the best of what I have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you Simon. That's a very honest and detailed answer and I accept it.
    I just have to see how to fit it in my budget.
    I hope though that Ilford Greece does not make its own big price changes
    which won't surprise me really considering that the market in Greece of BW film
    probably is tiny but I don't see digital having any effect in it.
    Black and white photographers are probably the same. Digital must have affected
    the color film, of amateurs and wedding and adveristing professionals.

The facts that Simon gives are indeed true if one reads the newspaper and I am glad
    they are not blaiming it on digital like others.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Arigram,

I know the Greek distributor well, Damkalides...I know he is passionate about monochrome and he will only pass on the increases that we have imposed, he
    also stocks ( and I mean stocks ) a very wide range of our products, I hope
    your photo budget is not too badly hit by these increases.

Regards

Simon.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Simon and I too am an Ilford supporter. I have used Ilford papers for years and recently switched to Ilford films as well.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin