Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,288   Online: 779

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilford Price Hike on 17th?

My local distributor here in Crete informed me the other day that all Ilford product are to receive a price rise, some all the way to double, Monday 17th of April.
    Is that to affect only Greece or globally?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    My local distributor here in Crete informed me the other day that all Ilford product are to receive a price rise, some all the way to double, Monday 17th of April.
    Is that to affect only Greece or globally?
    If some products double then they shall be effectively removed from the market. Ilford products are already priced to the high end and there is, I think, no significant room for substantial price hikes. Items like multigrade filters have already priced themselves out of the market.
    Crete, on the other hand, is a "special" market. Greece is a high priced niche market as long as one is talking about Athens or Thessaloniki but when one gets down to Crete one is no longer talking about market. Chania is probably a more likely place for photo supplies than Heraklion and I frankly can't think of a single good source.. everyone just seems to go to Athens to get whatever they need.. all I've found is a bit of a service industry around the tourists so beyond mini-lab supplies...
    Greece was quite Agfa land so I imagine that the distributor might be trying to leverage a bit of uncertainty and worries about price hikes to get in some last minute hoarding to raise some quick cash...
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If so they are already too high. A dollar a sheet for 2x3, come on folks that's like the oil companies. If Kodak and Agfa came back to the table they could make a killing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I sell Ilford products at my retail site. I haven't heard of any price changes in Canada.
    -Rob Skeoch
    BigCameraWorkshops.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure it's not just a case of the local distributor cashing in on lack of alternatives? We used to have that situation in South Africa whereby there was no alternative but to buy through the local guy so it was at whatever price they set. Can't you source the stuff from Spain as it's been mentioned in other threads that Ilford stock is cheaper there than the UK.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before I got to into this, I would write to Simon and ask him if Illford intends to raise prices again, often times distributors or even individual stores will raise a price and try to blame it on the companies.

Dave

I believe that the price increase is the real deal but so what? One has to expect an occasional price increase in other consumer products, why should sheet film be any different? It is important that Ilford stick around and keep things competitive and product diverse or the alternative would be real price escalation well into the double digits regularly. Whenever a company considers such a business decision to increase prices management takes into careful consideration the potential demand destruction that could occur after implementation. As a result, I feel that this price increase is in fact a sign of good things ahead.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got a new Freestyle catalog two days ago and it touts lowered prices on over 300 items. For instance the new catalog vs the Fall '05 one lists Ilford MGIV FB 11x14 paper at $56.95 from $63.99. The same paper in warmtone is now $77.99 down from $89.99!! (these are for 50 sheet boxes) Delta pro 100 4x5 film is now $20.99 down from $$21.99.

So if Ilford is planning any such increase it sure will be a HUGE! surprise to Freestyle. Stock up quick!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak raised prices today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bummer about EK prices. Here's the press release, 3% to 17% increase, cites raw materials cost increases.

Press release.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin