Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,598   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Speeding up mundane Film Developing

When my new baby arrived last september I knew my darkroom time would take a hit. Looking back I've seriously underestimated how little time I've got to spare.

I love printing but hate film developing and looking for suggestions to cut my time developing. I have a rotary jobo thingie [cpe2] which I suppose should make things easy for me BUT I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to improve the process in terms of time and effort spent.

I mostly develop 120 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think that a JOBO without lift will help you a lot. You still need to change chemicals an keep your eyes on the times.
    From what i've read, a more advanced model with lift goes from presoak to final wash without interference (please shoot me if this is not correct).

Keeping exposed film until you can fill up the whole JOBO drum and developing them together will minimize the time you have to be busy with film development.

Our first baby is 2 months old now, she still sleeps a lot and is very calm so the influence on spare time is still minimal :-)

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stand or semi-stand developing.
    It frees up time that you can spend printing.

-- MW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the lift thing on my jobo, it makes it a bit quicker to dump out the chemicals, thats it really.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do (semi)-stand development for sheet film but have not tried it yet for rollfilm: I dump the sheets in Rodinal just before we go washing the baby ;-)

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about using Ilford XP2 and getting it processed by a lab?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Semi stand lets me set one timer for total time, and one timer for 5 minutes.

It fits APUG very well, but sometimes I become agitated. :o

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bottles of baby formula fit nicely in the Jobo:}.

I encountered the same time crunch issue when my daughter came along seven years ago. I've adapted by doing as much prep work as possible before the developing session. When I have a few extra minutes, I'll go clean the darkroom or mix up some fixer or whatever. You can load the reels at any time. Get as much done as possible beforehand and the developing session itself will be shorter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should have received a copy of the owner's manual (for the baby). There's a helpful section that discusses how to cope with the fact that you're not supposed to sleep for the next 18 years.

There are, as noted by the other suggestions, little things you can do to divide the work associated with developing into little, discontinuous bits. That enables you to change a diaper, heat a bottle, etc. in between steps. That's also good multi-tasking training for handling other aspects of "normal" life.

There's also the extreme-stand approach described by Mortenson, I believe, where the loaded and filled cannister is simply placed in the fridge for a couple of weeks. (I'd call this "store" developing, rather than "stand".)

Then, there's the alternative of finding a custom lab to do your film developing, allowing you to concentrate on just the printing.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also with semi stand if you miss an agitation interval just add one on at the end. It is very forgiving.
    art is about managing compromise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin