Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,470   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they are anything like EK emulsion research people, they are about 45 - 85 years old and mostly all laid off, retired or in digital photo research.

Those that remain at EK fit the description I gave above for Ilford. They are mostly development people applying known internal improvements to existing products. An example would be the application of the 2 electron sensitization to new consumer color films.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello,

Simon Galley has mentioned in a previous thread that they are working on a Delta 25. I spoke briefly with him at the UK Focus in Imaging show last month and he confirmed that they are still working on it but it's at least a year away. The main thread where this was discussed originally was http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/20862-perceptol-lives-more-news-ilford-representative.html It's a very long thread and Simon talks about Ilford's plans on page 3.

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    It is my understanding that the Research and R&D emulsion arm of Ilford is virtually gone! This means that only Development remains, and that will limit the options coming out of Ilford to modifications of existing materials within known parameters. How far this can be taken is known only to them.

In other words, there are no more emulsion makers at Ilford except those in the plant making and maintaining current products or making modifications within certain limits to create variants on those products with improved characteristics.

PE
    A group of us from APUG are going up to Mobberley in June for a tour of Ilford so we'll keep an eye open for any very old grey bearded scientists who look like they're doing research!

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Just out of curiosity, given that we have Pan F... What would one want to see over and above Pan F in this rumoured film? Would it bet (yet) finer grain, greater sharpness, different tonality??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally, I'd like to see APX-100 tonality, with a neutral-toned base that could be used to make B&W Slides. The ability to build contrast, so that flat scenes could have the tones pulled apart without becoming objectionally grainy wouldn't hurt either.

OTOH, the extended Red of Tech-Pan was frequently useful, and it would be nice to have that available again, preferably in a film that could be run in standard developers.

While I shoot quite a bit hand-held these days, a glacially slow film with good mid-tone separation would fit certain of my needs nicely, especially in 120 or sheets. In the short term, I suppose it's time to spend more time with T-Max 100, and a little bit of optimization.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Photo Engineer,

As one who always reads your well informed and knowledgeble contributions with interest and respect, I am pleased to inform you that your source is very, very incorrect, yes our resources were depleted by our administration in August 2004, and we have just announced the loss of 12 jobs ( out of 375 ) but I can assure we have a creative, active, dedicated and capable R&D team for product development and manufacturing R&D FOR MONOCHROME products ( and some other other products as well ), and in line with our strategy of continuing to be the supplier with the widest range of monochrome products in the World...bar none.

With Kind Regards

Simon Galley ( Director ) ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Now that's one time I am really happy Mr. Engineer is wrong.
    Thank you Simon for making my day!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fparnold
    OTOH, the extended Red of Tech-Pan was frequently useful, and it would be nice to have that available again, preferably in a film that could be run in standard developers.
    Me too me too.

David.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Simon, I really like to hear you talk that way. I sure would like some access to plain old Pan F in sheet size. Not much R&D in that. Not much competition either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Photobum,

Its not an R&D issue ( although it would need some ) it would need to be coated on a different ( new ) base, the volume we would have to buy would not make it viable from a business point of view, I am really sorry.

Simon.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin