Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,164   Online: 1094

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Simon,

Is there a supply problem with 120 Pan F at present as Gunns in Dublin have been out of stock for about a month now and they are usually well stocked up on traditional materials.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Peter,

We have no stock outs on PAN F 120 ( we have 7,912 in stock as of 4.56pm today ): We have just changed distributor though, speak to Gunns and they should speak to our distributor and they can get it in.

Regards

Simon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley
    Dear Peter,

We have no stock outs on PAN F 120 ( we have 7,912 in stock as of 4.56pm today ): We have just changed distributor though, speak to Gunns and they should speak to our distributor and they can get it in.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I will try them again at the weekend. They have commented to me before that supplies from Ilford are always very slow to come in so hopefully this new distributor will improve the service.

Peter

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Photobum,

Its not an R&D issue ( although it would need some ) it would need to be coated on a different ( new ) base, the volume we would have to buy would not make it viable from a business point of view, I am really sorry.

Simon.
    Learn something new every day -- the Pan F couldn't be coated on the sheet base that's currently in use for FP4+ and HP5+ sheet sizes?
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear Photo Engineer,

As one who always reads your well informed and knowledgeble contributions with interest and respect, I am pleased to inform you that your source is very, very incorrect, yes our resources were depleted by our administration in August 2004, and we have just announced the loss of 12 jobs ( out of 375 ) but I can assure we have a creative, active, dedicated and capable R&D team for product development and manufacturing R&D FOR MONOCHROME products ( and some other other products as well ), and in line with our strategy of continuing to be the supplier with the widest range of monochrome products in the World...bar none.

With Kind Regards

Simon Galley ( Director ) ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Dear Simon;

This is one of the occasions when I am glad to hear that I am totally wrong!

Thanks for setting the record straight. It is never my intent to post an incorrect comment here, so correction is always good.

I use and enjoy Ilford products and always have. Thank you also for your nice comment. I wish Kodak were as informative and as in-tune with the customer base as Ilford is! Tony Perez and his staff could learn something from Ilford.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Photo Engineer,

Will you be at the APUG Toronto conference, I would like to buy you a beer ( or two ) and have a chat if you are free.

Kind Regards

Simon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that was the impression we all had when they downsized David Carper
    But he was in the US, and he was tech-support me guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    There is a big difference between Research and Development and R&D. These are 3 different distinct divisions in making a new film.

Research involves making fundamental discoveries in imaging science.

R&D is the process of turning these discoveries into usable marketable materials.

Development is the act of taking existing marketable materials and turning them into improved versions or variants, by known means.

It is my understanding that the Research and R&D emulsion arm of Ilford is virtually gone! This means that only Development remains, and that will limit the options coming out of Ilford to modifications of existing materials within known parameters. How far this can be taken is known only to them.

In other words, there are no more emulsion makers at Ilford except those in the plant making and maintaining current products or making modifications within certain limits to create variants on those products with improved characteristics.

PE
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear Photo Engineer,

Will you be at the APUG Toronto conference, I would like to buy you a beer ( or two ) and have a chat if you are free.

Kind Regards

Simon.
    Simon;

Thanks very much for the offer, but I will be at the ICIS conference in Rochester, and will be forced to miss the APUG conference.

Usually several Ilford people are there and Ilford is usually a sponsor, but this year I only see mention of Ilford Switzerland. (Rita Hofmann)

Will you or any of your people manage to be in Rochester for ICIS? I can buy them a beer then.

In any event, I would be happy to chat with you via e-mail or PM if you wish.

Regards.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wouldn't a C41 ISO 100 film have finer grain than even Pan F?

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    Wouldn't a C41 ISO 100 film have finer grain than even Pan F?
    Maybe, but it wouldn't be as exciting to "real" B&W users -- just another film to hand over to the mini-lab.

With a genuine ISO 25 (say, the oft-hypothesized Delta 25), we'd get very fine grain, and the ability to control the characteristics to some extent in development. Perceptol vs. ID-11 vs. pyro sorts of choices...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin