Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,197   Online: 865

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    No, B&W is only a poor substitute.
    Robert, I wasn't clear in my meaning.

B & W for archival reasons (and because it's good too), and colour (Kodachrome, Portra 160, Kodak Gold, Velvia, Ektachrome, etc. etc.) because it's wonderful, and because for the next few decades or so, it will last well too.

In short - use film!

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw
    What is it with beginner photographers and zoom lenses? There is an advert on the back of Black & White Photography magazine (May 2006) for a 'Digital MEGAZOOM' with a 18-200mm range. Sometimes I think people would be better off with a FM3a or OM2n complete with 50/1.8 lens.
    Most of these zoom lenses have chromatic aberrations and barrel distortion. Plus the quality is much less than the 50mm which is a fraction of the price. I think that the real problem is that most of these consumers think that zoom means telephoto.

However, the dSLR has made the 50mm lens into the perfect portrait lenses. 35mm users have to get an expensive 85mm lens, while digital users are doing the same thing with an $80 lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    Robert, I wasn't clear in my meaning.

B & W for archival reasons (and because it's good too), and colour (Kodachrome, Portra 160, Kodak Gold, Velvia, Ektachrome, etc. etc.) because it's wonderful, and because for the next few decades or so, it will last well too.

In short - use film!

Matt
    Ok Matt, I can accept that Long live film!!!!
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael Reichmann on the LL site has linked an interview (http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/...ney/mjapan.php) with three analysts of Japanese equities, in which they address what is going wrong with the Japanese photography companies (the specific company in question is Pentax, but the context is general). Michael in particular referenced the following excerpt:

"Abe: Let me discuss Pentax, of which we hold 21 percent. Pentax is an optical technology company that is known for making single-reflex lenses. Japanese camera makers have their roots in lens making and optical technology. Leveraging its technological strength, Pentax has diversified into endoscopy, an area that Japanese companies monopolize (......)

The mistake that Pentax and other camera manufacturers made was in digital cameras, which as a business are not like cameras but more like home electronics, with short product cycles. It's not an efficient business for camera manufacturers to be in. We have been in talks with the Pentax management and have been suggesting that they exit from digital camera manufacturing. (......)

Musha: One needs to understand that competitive Japanese companies are not built on the "Silicon Valley model." Taiwan and Korean manufacturers in principle follow this model, where you make use of the basic prototype of the business, the technology and the equipment, and you pour in capital and rapidly achieve a certain scale. Your competitors can play catch-up very easily. Japanese semiconductor companies were typical [in how they lost to the competition] and the digital camera business falls in the same category. It's a winner-take-all game where unless you become the winner, you lose all your profits in the process of competition. Japanese firms that have been in those types of businesses have all been destroyed."

I'm not sure I completely agree with this analysis in that digital cameras, unlike many forms of consumer electronics, require a substantial investment in software (RAW converters, etc.), so I am not sure that the Japanese are at a disadvantage versus Korea or Taiwan in this regard (English-language software is not a particular strength with any of these countries). But the overall perspective is interesting.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen
    Michael Reichmann on the LL site has linked an interview (http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/...ney/mjapan.php) with three analysts of Japanese equities, in which they address what is going wrong with the Japanese photography companies (the specific company in question is Pentax, but the context is general).
    I wouldn't give 10 cents for anything that Reichmann writes or anything on the Luminious Idots website either.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not sure I completely agree with this analysis in that digital cameras, unlike many forms of consumer electronics, require a substantial investment in software (RAW converters, etc.), so I am not sure that the Japanese are at a disadvantage versus Korea or Taiwan in this regard (English-language software is not a particular strength with any of these countries). But the overall perspective is interesting.
    Japanese camera manufacturers have entered the security camera business, and I'm sure that's as monopolistic as the "copy machine" business. Pentax is one of them, but I don't know how it's been doing, and I'm not an economist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I wouldn't give 10 cents for anything that Reichmann writes or anything on the Luminious Idots website either.
    Hey Robert,

It's actually a link to the Herald Tribune, where they interviewed 3 market analysts on the state of the Japanese economy. It's interesting reading.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure I completely agree with this analysis in that digital cameras, unlike many forms of consumer electronics, require a substantial investment in software (RAW converters, etc.),
    No. The "software" is the least of the deal and may be outsourced. Think personal computer. With the exception of a few high profile and highly marketed examples such as the Apple--- agressive Zeitgeist design with a user interface following sold using a marketing language not too distant from "designer jeans", fast-food and carbonated beverages---- consumers go after what they've been educated to go after: price, specifications and "performance".
    Think personal computer.. and then think Osborne, KayPro, Tandy, Compaq, Digital Equipment Corp, AST.. Its a game played out like the film "Highlander".. There can only be one. The rewards of being the last man standing, as in today's professional sport, is big pot.
    Think cellular phones.. Look at why Siemens sold the unit to BenQ. Look at the fortunes of Nokia.. and the fast shifts of the market..
    Think stockmarket and investor belief.. Think Kodak.. Think Google.. Think Yahoo.. Think of all the DOT.COMs like pets.com.. Think Oil. Then think HP...

so I am not sure that the Japanese are at a disadvantage versus Korea or Taiwan in this regard (English-language software is not a particular strength with any of these countries). But the overall perspective is interesting.
    The Japanese companies that are in a technological position to participate are at a horrible disadvantage in that game. They have a different mentality. While Sony--- which by Japanese standards are tiny nobodies with nothing more than lucky marketing to Americans--- might understand the "right language" and can squeeze into a good pole position but are lacking in the tyres, motor and fuel to go more than a few laps.
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi
    Name me a good reason why Cadmium should be in photo papers.
    So you can get lovely unique split tones in silver gelatin prints.
    Don Bryant

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leveraging its technological strength, Pentax has diversified into endoscopy, an area that Japanese companies monopolize (......)
    Now we know where the heads of the Japanese camera companies have been.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin